Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:43 PM   #1

Hello all!

I have done a lot of infrared research and some IR photography in 35mm. I recently bought a 350D and I am looking to do some digital IR work. I have a Wratten 87 filter which worked well for 35mm IR.

Does anyone have any experience with Canon and digital IR photos? Any advice? I'd love to see some examples as well.

Thanks,

Natalie
NHogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:14 AM   #2

the problem you will run into is your new 350d has an infrared blocking filter built into it. For some reason a few years back camera manufacturers decided that infrared infiltration was bad so they started putting in these blocking filters. It is not imposible to get goodIR pictures,and if you want you could havethe filer removed, but thenIR photos is all you will be able to take with it. It will require some pretty long shutter speeds and a tripod. I went the cheap route and bought an older Olympus C-2020z camera which does not havethe IR blocking filter, and is probably the gold standard for digitalIR although there are several other older digitals that are pretty good, most in the 2 MP range.
Attached Images

Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:53 AM   #3

Has anyone tried shooting the nightsky in infrared?
I think I heard in some program on TV that if our eyes had been infrared sensitive the nightsky would look amazingly beautiful.
Would be cool to see how it would look....what extras the infrared would give.
ASBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4

Nice IR pic Caboose. Which filter? Any other mods?

I'm a long time IR fan myself. Never liked dealing with the film though.

Lots of good info on line re. digital IR. Guess it's time to dust off my Coolpix 950, find my CKC Power adaptor, p/u an IR filter & give her a whirl . . .

Best.
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:37 AM   #5

fastglass wrote:
Quote:
Nice IR pic Caboose. Which filter? Any other mods?

I'm a long time IR fan myself. Never liked dealing with the film though.

Lots of good info on line re. digital IR. Guess it's time to dust off my Coolpix 950, find my CKC Power adaptor, p/u an IR filter & give her a whirl . . .

Best.
That is the really nice thing about the Oly C-2020ZI can use about the cheapest filter, the Hoya R72. The only other thing is I bought a conversion adaptor to get from the 41mm threads of the lens to the 52mm filter.I can hand hold with some pretty fast shutter speeds, pretty nice. Your Coolpix 950 is also a good choice for IR. I do shoot in color also, not B&W as one might think. Grab up a Hoya R72 and you should be good to go.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:52 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
For some reason a few years back camera manufacturers decided that infrared infiltration was bad so they started putting in these blocking filters.
Leica didn't/couldn't put a proper IR filter on the new M8. And look what happened over that issue!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-magenta.shtml

If you want to do it with a SLR you could start by reading this...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...d%20dslr.shtml

It's actually something I might consider doing to my 20D when I upgrade.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:38 AM   #7

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
It's actually something I might consider doing to my 20D when I upgrade.
I still have my first 300d digital rebel that is my backup camera. As soon as I up grade my 20d it will be my backup and my 300d gets converted to IR. I have also read some where, and I'll have to do some research to find out where, that some of canons lenses are not so good for IR, most are though.