Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:37 PM   #1

When I shoot in the RAW mode with my 30d, does it matter what the contrast, sharpness are set on? Am I right in assuming the camera does not apply any "in house" changes to the file. Someone suggest I "turn off" any contrast or sharpening I had set in the camera when I was in the RAW mode...? Also suggesting as a novice I should shoot in JPEP fine rather than RAW, which was the opposite of what I had previously heard...Thanks, Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:05 PM   #2

"When I shoot in the RAW mode with my 30d, does it matter what the contrast, sharpness are set on? Am I right in assuming the camera does not apply any "in house" changes to the file. Someone suggest I "turn off" any contrast or sharpening I had set in the camera when I was in the RAW mode...? Also suggesting as a novice I should shoot in JPEP fine rather than RAW, which was the opposite of what I had previously heard...Thanks, Donna"

For me, I would leave all the shapness, contrast, etc. settings alone "in house". The results you'll get with a Raw editor (PS, or your supplied Canon software) will be ALOT more satisfactory.

As for your last sentence, both bits of advice are true. For your average snap shot, keep it in jpg. For everything else, keeep it in RAW (*.CR2).

Loving my EOS 30D too!

Thanks,

jc :G
jjc30d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 7:27 PM   #3

Thanks! donna
Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:48 PM   #4

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
Also suggesting as a novice I should shoot in JPEP fine rather than RAW, which was the opposite of what I had previously heard...Thanks, Donna
Donna,

If you have the memory and don't mind the added workflow steps there's no reason not to shoot in RAW if that's your preference.

But I also disagree with those who claim that "serious photographers only use RAW" - that's rubish as well. It's merely another tool with benefits and drawbacks. The biggest benefits offered by RAW are the ability to adjust exposure and to correct white balance. If your shots don't have those problems then the end result from a RAW conversion in most cases won't be any better than the JPEG would have been and done sharpness/saturation etc against the jpeg in PP rather than in the raw conversion.

But, the best advice is to try it both ways (shooting RAW and shooting jpeg) and see which way produces results YOU like - I just warn you against the self fulfilling profecy of convincing yourself ahead of time that RAW will give you better results. It has that capability in some instances - especially in shots with exposure and WB issues - but not all.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:49 PM   #5

Thanks John, I have been using RAW and so far am pleased. Donna
Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:23 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Donna you're right, when shooting in RAW mode none of the contrast or sharpness, etc settings make the slightest bit of difference.

Those parameters are only used by the camera when it creates a JPG from the RAW data.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:37 PM   #7

The only reason I've heard to change the settings for sharpness and contrast is that it effects the JPG thumbnail in the RAW file. So when you view the image from within a program like photoshop elements or Bridge the image you're looking at is not the converted RAW file but the thumbnail in the raw file - which will have those settings applied.

This means that what you see when skimming your images will look a bit better - in other words they'll better show the potential of what you can get out of the image instead of an unprocessed image which you'd have to evaluate all in your head.

What I don't recall is if you change your camera from RAW to JPG (which I do some times - like others have listed in this thread) I don't believe the sharpness and contrast settings change. So what you might want to do is put the settings on what you'd use if you were shooting in JPG and then ignore them from then on. Then they'll not matter for RAW shooting and be correct for JPG shooting.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:23 PM   #8

That's exactly what I did...thanks, donna
Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:26 AM   #9

D.Ann wrote:
Quote:
When I shoot in the RAW mode with my 30d, does it matter what the contrast, sharpness are set on?* Am I right in assuming the camera does not apply any "in house" changes to the file.* Someone suggest I "turn off" any contrast or sharpening I had set in the camera when I was in the RAW mode...?** Also suggesting as a novice I should shoot in JPEP fine rather than RAW, which was the opposite of what I had previously heard...Thanks, Donna
All of your manipulations regarding contrast, saturation etc. will be done in RAW to set the precedent for your whole series or individual image that you will import in to PS for post production. Keep it in 16 bit as long as you can before saving to either PSD or TIFF (uncompressed)

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images

benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote