Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:27 PM   #1

Default Congratulations to Canon Repair Service Irvine!

For those of you who were following the problem my 1DS developed at altitude (14,268 feet) - briefly the sensor apparently had air trapped during manufacturing at approximately sea level. When I took it to the summit of Mt. Evans on a warm day, the "density altitude" was around 17,000 feet. It failed - then worked again perfectly at 10,000 feet, then failed when I took it back to the summit then worked again at 6,000 feet and finally failed again at 12,400 feet, but this time there was no recovery. The barometric pressure increase had apparently separated the AA filter from the sensor.

Indications from the photos showed a "screen like" appearance which I (correctly as it turned out) assumed was actually the antialiasing filter. I sent the camera to Irvine overnight last Tuesday, and even though they were swamped with work from the holidays, they managed to replace the sensor, tune it up and I received it today slightly before noon Colorado time.

The camera works perfectly and arrived in pristine condition. My thanks to Canon and congratulations on a job well done and for getting it back to me before a length 10 day job out of state which I leave for Friday morning.

They went above and beyond to accommodate my request and I deeply appreciate not having to buy another camera for this shoot. Though others have successfully used their 1DS at this and higher altitudes with no problems, I will be acutely aware and cautious in the future so that in the unlikely event that another sensor may have this fluke situation, I won't inadvertently damage another one.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:21 AM   #2

Wow, quite a story. My 10D hasn't been higher than Cameron Pass (10,000 feet). Surely hope this will not a 'common' problem with their manufacturing process.

Can you actually see a difference now in picture quality? Is it even better now than before this whole air thing happend, since there's (presumably) on air trapped at all anymore?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 1:29 AM   #3

No difference in image quality - but it was always fantastic. The major difference I see is that the exposure was calibrated so I don't need to dial in a little underexposure any more to avoid blown highlights.

I don't think the air caused any problems until I took the camera to over a 17,000 foot density altitude (14,268 feet at 58 degrees f). Others have used the 1DS at over 18,000 feet without incident, so I think my problem was just one of those statistical flukes and that it's very unlikely for anyone else to have this problem.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:13 PM   #4

Lin,

So are you consider the problem you have is a defective issue or one of the technical issue?. In my mind, the Canon 1Ds is built to deal with most adverse/tough conditions, and that why it justify for its high cost. If the 1Ds can't deal with the high attitude above 18,000 ft, I'm sure the 10D will not stand a chance. I appreciate if you could provide the detailed explaination from Canon on the problem you have with the Canon 1Ds. Thanks
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:26 PM   #5

I had three of my cameras with me (10D, 1D and 1DS) and the 10D and 1D had no problems. I'm assuming that the problem with the 1DS was not a technical one but simply a defect in manufacturing where air was trapped between the sensor and antialiasing filter. The density altitude of 17,000 feet caused the expansion of air which separated the aa filter from the sensor and caused the failure.

I doubt that anyone else will have this problem. The camera works find now that Canon has replaced the sensor and returned it.

Best regards,

Lin