Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:24 AM   #1

Between the Canon EOS 5D and EOS 30D,which camera is better for sports photography?And why?
THANKS.
Killer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:41 AM   #2
NHL

The 30D!
1. Higher frame rate
2. The 1.6x crop factor favors the long lenses selection
3. The file sizes are smaller so you don't clutter your hardrive as much with as many shots

-> Although I don't see why a 5D can not be used for sport either despite the above :lol::-):G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:11 AM   #3

Yep, NHL hit them on the head.

The other important thing? The money you save from buying the 30d over the 5d goes towards buying better glass. And in sports photography, better glass is extremely important.

If you want an upgrade from the 30D, the 1d mk II-N is the current pro level camera (and selling for $3400). The replacement for this camera was just announced by canon - the mk III ($4000) - available in May. I'm guessing the mk II-N should drop to about $3000 around then.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:32 PM   #4
NHL

Many reputable stores also sell 'refurbished' 1D mk II-N with full waranty in brown Canon carton for only $2999... Just another option!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:34 AM   #5

[shadow=blue]NHL hey NHL can u point to a store which has refurb Mark II N.[/shadow]

and regarding shooting sports with 5D,if u are used to shoot sport in AI Servo the tracking capability of 5D or 30D isnt impressive.I prefer shooting in centre point single point focus than AI servo.Atleast i know the Camera wont shoot something else than what i intend to shoot.

And 5D has a little better AI Servo over 30D from my usage. But i have started to shoot manual focus since its easier to focus the moving subject. But it took a long time to practice the amount of manual twist i had to give the lens.

Manual focus makes sure that the area of focus inspite of the very minimal sideways movement of the subject still remains sharp and focus.

while AI Servo kinda interferes when the subject distance remains the same while the subject moves a bit in the sides. It immidiately tries to focus to infinity and makes us loose some valuable shots.

And i found this even more distrubing with small birds. Thats when i tried manual focus and and still trying.

i am planning to get the 1D series but not sure if the tracking system is far better than 5D in Servo mode. If it has 45 points of focus, i would hope one of the points to pick up the subjectt when in AI Servo. Anyone who can confirm the same would be helpful.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:33 PM   #6
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
NHL hey NHL can u point to a store which has refurb Mark II N.
The local PENN Camera in Tyson has two actually - I have seen them @ both B&H and Adorama as well...

-> But knowing you'll be replacing it in the future with a Mrk III you might as well go for the non-N (@ $2,399.95) - The only differences between the two are the 2.5/2.8" LCD and the picture styles which is not really needed in a Pro camera. Spent the least as possible (until the initial rush on Mrk III go down):
http://www.adorama.com/ICA1DM2R.html...&item_no=2
Old Mar 16, 2007, 6:39 AM   #7
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
... And i found this even more distrubing with small birds. Thats when i tried manual focus and and still trying.

i am planning to get the 1D series but not sure if the tracking system is far better than 5D in Servo mode. If it has 45 points of focus, i would hope one of the points to pick up the subjectt when in AI Servo. Anyone who can confirm the same would be helpful.
For "big" subject - A target than can fill a frame the 45 points AF work quite well at tracking in the servo mode and why this camera is so popular with sport shooters.

With big birds like herons the camera will also behave as far as they stayed close, but when they are distant in flight this is no different than a small bird and where the 1D will also have issue like: "while AI Servo kinda interferes when the subject distance remains the same while the subject moves a bit in the sides. It immidiately tries to focus to infinity and makes us loose some valuable shots."

-> Instead of using manual focus, I use single shot AF (instead of servo) on the 1D. The camera also uses all its 45 AF points for this, but I program the rear button to overide the 45 to the center AF point only by just momentarily pressing this button - This will lock on a small bird in single shot AF and "the Camera wont shoot something else than what i intend to shoot"

Imagine shooting the players vs the actual ball itself - two totally different targets requiring two different techniques...
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:03 AM   #8

[glow=green]Instead of using manual focus, I use single shot AF (instead of servo) on the 1D. The camera also uses all its 45 AF points for this, but I program the rear button to overide the 45 to the center AF point only by just momentarily pressing this button - This will lock on a small bird in single shot AF and[/glow]

how exactly u achieve focus with the single point. Coz the subject/Object is constantly in motion and everytime u press the rear button to focus the subject is already moving and the camera isnt going to follow.

Is the predective focus thats comes into effect here. I tried single shot with my 5d and failed miserably and after went manual i could get more shots in focus. The AI Servo in 5D isnt the best so never tried that much.

Can u please elaborate on ur method of achieving the focus with single AF so i can try the same. I just got a 1D Mark II. Havent got it yet, but just purchased.

Thanks

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:12 PM   #9

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
how exactly u achieve focus with the single point. Coz the subject/Object is constantly in motion and everytime u press the rear button to focus the subject is already moving and the camera isnt going to follow.
It all comes down to depth of field and whether or not the subject remains in a focus plane. Say you're shooting a bird in flight 30 yards away with a 300mm lens on a 5d, at f5.6 - your dof is 9 feet (4.38 in front, 4.85 behind focus point). So, when using single shot - as long the bird stays within that DOF area, there is no need for predictive focusing. If you get a good focus lock the first time, the subsequent shots in the burst will still have the subject in focus. You simply re-aquire focus yourself every so often.

This prevents the issue of the first shot in ai-servo being shutter priority (although on the new mk III you can make the first shot focus priority if you wish as well) as well as mis-focus issues when servo gets tricked by another object (branch) or you can't follow the subject and the focus point(s) fall off the subject.

This is unlike sports though. As discussed in prior posts - the DOFs involved in sports shooting and the nature of the athletes normally moving directly towards you mean they will not remain in the focus plane long enough for this technique to work.

So, in deciding whether to use one-shot vs AI-Servo you have to have an understanding of what your DOF is going to be as well as you're subject's movement pattern and speed. If they are going to stay in a focus plane for your intended burst - one-shot can produce better results. If they will not then you need to use Servo.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:57 PM   #10

Killer Angel wrote:
Quote:
Between the Canon EOS 5D and EOS 30D,which camera is better for sports photography?And why?
THANKS.
What sport exactly? Basketball, football, chess, or what??? BTW, kamusta...pinoy din ako.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote