Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:59 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I have been holding on to my 20D and decided not to get a 5D last October in the hope that this Spring might see an upgrade to the 5D.

Well I reckon now that it's not going to happen. Why? Well because Canon is releasing a whole bunch of box sets or kits of the 30D and 5D with different lenses.

Actually they are also bundling up some lens box sets too. I suppose that this may be a reaction to the problems they have had with their rebate schemes.

Certainly in the UK the prices seem to suggest a 10-25% reduction in the cost of the bundled lenses, depending on their original cost.

Here are a few links so that you can see what I'm talking about...

http://www.photographyblog.com/index...on_eos_prices/

Of course it's just a marketing thing, and doesn't prove anything, but I reckon this is at least an indication that there is no imminent replacement for 400D, 30D, 5D.

On the plus side, the prices have come down a fair bit since last year and a long way since launch. So I don't feel too bad about waiting a bit.

The 5D body is now £1500, and was £2500 at launch. The price of the 24-105 L has also dropped by at least £100, so looking good.

And in my opinion the 30D + 17-85 IS + 70-300 IS looks like a fabulous 2-lens kit to me.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2

I would think with all the bundled lens choices they may be wanting to deplete the large inventory of stock before the intro of new models.

I wonder if the Canon execs. are reading all these forums with all of us biting our fingernails in antisipation!!:roll:

yagimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 5:46 PM   #3

And from what I have researched the kits are priced more than just buying the "kit" stuff separately. There are several kits available already on B&H.
overclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:24 PM   #4

i am guessing canon will hold on to 5d till next year. The immidiate update would be to 30D and i would be def surprised if there are three cameras(updates) this year.

5D closely has no competetion yet. For full fram digital its only 5D. Unless sony or Nikon comes out with a FF this year, 5D replacement wouldn be required at least.

and 30D will def be upgraded this year. So we can expect a 40D. I love the 1.6X crop for sports, but i would also love to have the speed of 1D's. Amazing spped

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:42 AM   #5
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
... I love the 1.6X crop for sports, but i would also love to have the speed of 1D's. Amazing spped
I believe we touched on this before, but the D2x might also be upgraded... this year
-> @ 2x crop and the current speed of the 1D this camera is also quite amazing

Quite tempting actually when there's no new Canon's announcement on the horizon...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:50 AM   #6

NHL wrote:
Quote:
nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
... I love the 1.6X crop for sports, but i would also love to have the speed of 1D's. Amazing spped
I believe we touched on this before, but the D2x might also be upgraded... this year
-> @ 2x crop and the current speed of the 1D this camera is also quite amazing

Quite tempting actually when there's no new Canon's announcement on the horizon...
Why 2x? I thought all their cameras were 1.5x? As to whether the Nikon is tempting - I guess it depends on what you're looking for and what you already have. If you're shooting really requires a pro level camera, then the question becomes do you already have an investment in lenses. If so, switching from canon to nikon is an expensive proposition. Now, if you haven't invested in either system then yes it is a nice alternative.

To nymphetamine's point - it's a no-brainer. The focus system on a 1.3 crop camera (like the mk II N) for sports will easily out-produce any of the 1.6 crop canon cameras using the same lens - especially in lower light. I'll gladly be changing in the extra crop to get the better focus, better dynamic range and better noise handling the larger sensor and focus system offers. Also, 1.6 can also be a detriment - it's a bit tight when I'm shooting indoor sports with the 85mm 1.8 or even the 70-200 when light allows.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:52 PM   #7
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Why 2x? I thought all their cameras were 1.5x? As to whether the Nikon is tempting - I guess it depends on what you're looking for and what you already have. If you're shooting really requires a pro level camera, then the question becomes do you already have an investment in lenses. If so, switching from canon to nikon is an expensive proposition. Now, if you haven't invested in either system then yes it is a nice alternative.
The D2X can shoot @ a native 1.5x which is 12.5Mp @ 5fps - This put it about where the next Canon 40D should be however a 2nd hand D2x costs only around $2k but is a pro body with fully weather sealed instead.
-> At 2x crop (~7.2Mp) this D2x can shoot @ the same frame rate as the 1D MrkII/N, but this lower the cost of entry with the lens quite a bit - for example a Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX has the equivalent of a 200-600 f/4 on a D2x... and the camera is quite light as compared to a 1D body!

I'm not thinking about switching, but I collect Nikon gear as well - I added an old F5 to my collection a few years back but haven't used it much... Now a used D2x might see more action... :-) :-) :-)

Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:34 PM   #8

how good is the AF system of Nikon compared to the 45 point focus system. i just got my hands on a 1d and i have been using a 20D and a 5D. Honestly i am getting more keepers with the 1d when it comes to action shots or birds..

the 1d is in a different league and i am just amazed..but that cud be because i am using it for the first time..but again, its mind blowing to me.

so any comparison betwen Nikon Focus system and the Canon...i have heard the 11 point focus system of Nikon to be in par with the 45point focus system because of the way the cross type sensors are ararnged in Nikon

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:33 AM   #9
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
so any comparison betwen Nikon Focus system and the Canon...i have heard the 11 point focus system of Nikon to be in par with the 45point focus system because of the way the cross type sensors are ararnged in Nikon
It's just different...

One thing I do know is the 1D MrkII/N do not focus in the dark as well as my older 10D:
At several wedding receptions I've been to the 1D MrkII/N would require the AF assist from the flash (where the 10D would not) or it just hang there not focusing at all... Ganging up the AF points can help, but not as good as the older 10D (or 20/30D) in this regard in dim quarters.
-> The D2X can autofocus to -1EV which is a full stop darker than the 1D MrkII/N

BTW the crop factor also favors the WA with the D2x 12.5Mp - There's a lot more of extra small (also light) 'digital' super wide zooms now that are outstanding as opposed to going the 5D route where it's an uphill battle to get an older designed full-frame lens to behave corner to corner... :shock: