Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:05 AM   #11
NHL

Another Sigma consideration is the compact EX 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 OS APO. It's not an ultrasonic like the others lenses that were discussed, but still feature a full-time manual focus overide through a clutch mechanism and two optical stabilizer modes...

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/news/News.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 6:36 PM   #12

Hi,

I bought a used Sigma 70-210mm APO 2.8 lens, if all goes well I will have it next week.

I will mate it with a 1.4 extender to give it the extra reach.

It's an older lens but I heard much good about it.

a 50-500 cannot be good in my uneducated guess, the way a lens is constructed would mean that it is a good lens but not a GOOD lens. Sorry if I offend anyone I have not seen the lens but this is just my idea when I look at how optics work.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:57 PM   #13

Frank Doorhof

You haven't offended me with your opinion... heck, I agree with you. I’d be impressed if anyone could make a “GOOD” 10x zoom. I’ve never used it, I just threw it out there as an option.

I’ve read that some people like it and others don’t. Lenses are a very personal thing… “sharp” for one person is “like dense fog” to another. It’s really a question of “good enough” with a cost-to-quality thrown in (if the writer of the review is good enough to state that.)

I hope mating the 70-210 with a 1.4x TC produces something good enough for you. You sound rather demanding (like I am.) I’d be interested in how it turns out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 3:51 AM   #14

I am rather picky when it comes to images, I calibrate display's for my profession and install Home Theaters so I rather live everyday with fighting artifacts and getting the best out of a display.

That's also the reason I was VERY VERY picky about USM, but with the correct ways like Only Y sharpening or even better only a High Pass layer it's now part of my workflow.

I will receive the lens next week or hopefully this week so I will let you know.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 9:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof
a 50-500 cannot be good in my uneducated guess, the way a lens is constructed would mean that it is a good lens but not a GOOD lens. Sorry if I offend anyone I have not seen the lens but this is just my idea when I look at how optics work.
I tried this lens with a dealer, it's sure ok, but didn't buy it - IT'S VERY HEAVY!

I do not like to wear a lens for body building purposes or take all pictures with tripod only.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote