Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:18 PM   #1

I've been a Pentax user for years, (Pentax *ist DS).

However, I recently sold my Pentax and after LONG research where I considered the Nikon D200, the Pentax K10D and the Canon 30D, I've finally settled on the Canon.

So today I ordered:

Canon 30D (body only), Canon EF-S 10-22mm USM wide angle (landscapes, building interiors), a Canon 100mm f/2.0 USM (indoor sports, portraits), and a 430ex flash, as well as a 2GB Lexar 133x flash card.

I'm really excited to get it, and get started. Later I want to get an f/2.8 zoom of some sort, but I gotta save my pennies.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:37 PM   #2

you will probably find you are going to miss the 24-70mm range in between the lenses you have. But save those pennies fast and you can fill that void.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:07 PM   #3

Yes, I'm sure you are right.

But also, I never had a fast lens in the 100mm range like this one, some I'm really interested in shooting some indoor sports (karate, swimming) with it. Should be fun.

Plus the 10-22 looks AWESOME for landscapes.

Old Mar 16, 2007, 5:53 PM   #4

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
I've been a Pentax user for years, (Pentax *ist DS).

However, I recently sold my Pentax and after LONG research where I considered the Nikon D200, the Pentax K10D and the Canon 30D, I've finally settled on the Canon.

So today I ordered:

Canon 30D (body only),* Canon EF-S 10-22mm USM wide angle (landscapes, building interiors), a Canon 100mm f/2.0 USM (indoor sports, portraits), and a 430ex flash, as well as a 2GB Lexar 133x flash card.

Very interesting lens line-up with no lens spanning from 30 to 100mm, a major range for most people.
I recall some of your posting in Pentax forum as I am a Pentax man with all fast older prime lens from 16mm, 28, 50, 100, 135 & 300mm. I picked up a few cheaper ones a year ago and there is currently a huge shortage of any autofocus Pentax primes. One thing about Canon lineup. You will have no problem getting lens new or used.
Good luck

Daniel, Toronto
www.pbase.com/danieltong
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 6:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Very interesting lens line-up with no lens spanning from 30 to 100mm, a major range for most people.
I recall some of your posting in Pentax forum as I am a Pentax man with all fast older prime lens from 16mm, 28, 50, 100, 135 & 300mm. I picked up a few cheaper ones a year ago and there is currently a huge shortage of any autofocus Pentax primes. One thing about Canon lineup. You will have no problem getting lens new or used.
Thanks Daniel,

Yes, my decision to move away from Pentax was a very tough one. And, maybe with the K10D out now, at just the wrong time, I don't know. I liked my Pentax *ist DS very much, and came *this* close to ordering a K10D, but ultimately I chose to go elsewhere because of three reasons (one of which you already surmised):

1) As you said, availability of just about anything Pentax is tough. I waited for 2 months and couldn't find the AF540 flash in stock ANYWHERE (repeated, calls, searches, etc), Of course NOW I see (just today) that it is in stock at Amazon. Also the 12-24mm zoom was nowhere to be found, and the list goes on.

2) Autofocus speed. Pentax is just NOW coming out with their first two lenses with high-speed focusing motors in the lens. Something Canon has had for years... (and I think Nikon also). Of course you can't actually GET the new Pentax lenses yet (sorry if I sound bitter. )

3) Image Quality (especially JPEG image quality) out of the camera. After reviewing thousands of images of the K10D, the D200, and the 30D at pbase and other places, I couldn't live with the K10D image quality. As another (professional) reviewer noticed, the K10D can and does do a good job with relatively closer or macro images, but doesn't seem to have the resolving power to pull out fine details in landscapes. They always seem a bit muddled. And I didn't want to have to shoot RAW all the time.

I will say though, if Pentax can fix their in-camera processing of JPEGs, and the availability of lenses/accessories, and get their line of weather-sealed, HSM motor type lenses out there, they have a world-beating camera in the K10D in my opinion. Problem is, the Pentax image processing has been soft since my camera (the *ist DS) so I don't think they will fix it anytime soon.

Cheers!

Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:49 PM   #6

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Daniel,

Yes, my decision to move away from Pentax was a very tough one.* And, maybe with the K10D out now, at just the wrong time, I don't know.* I liked my Pentax *ist DS very much, and came *this* close to ordering a K10D, but ultimately I chose to go elsewhere because of three reasons (one of which you already surmised):

1) As you said, availability of just about anything Pentax is tough.* I waited for 2 months and couldn't find the AF540 flash in stock ANYWHERE (repeated, calls, searches, etc), Of course NOW I see (just today) that it is in stock at Amazon.** Also the 12-24mm zoom was nowhere to be found, and the list goes on.

2) Autofocus speed.* Pentax is just NOW coming out with their first two lenses with high-speed focusing motors in the lens.* Something Canon has had for years... (and I think Nikon also).* Of course you can't actually GET the new Pentax lenses yet (sorry if I sound bitter. )

3) Image Quality (especially JPEG image quality) out of the camera.* After reviewing thousands of images of the K10D, the D200, and the 30D at pbase and other places, I couldn't live with the K10D image quality.* As another (professional) reviewer noticed, the K10D can and does do a good job with relatively closer or macro images, but doesn't seem to have the resolving power to pull out fine details in landscapes.* They always seem a bit muddled.** And I didn't want to have to shoot RAW all the time.

I will say though, if Pentax can fix their in-camera processing of JPEGs, and the availability of lenses/accessories, and get their line of weather-sealed, HSM motor type lenses out there, they have a world-beating camera in the K10D in my opinion.* Problem is, the Pentax image processing has been soft since my camera (the *ist DS) so I don't think they will fix it anytime soon.

Cheers!
Jay,
I do not believe that I am writing this in Canon forum.
Your points:
1. Availability of Pentax lens and accessories
I agree that it sucks big time. They just cannot cope with the demands. Right now, the olders lens fill the void to an extent.
2.Autofocus speed
I believe you have not had the more recent fast prime like FA135mm or FA50mm or the recent Limited. They are , I believe, equal to the Canon or Nikon equivalents except for those with SSM lens I believe.
3.Image quality of jpq can easily be adjusted in the Menu in respect of sharpness and contrast. I believe pbase.com has more great Canon/Nikon pict mainly because they are the dominant players.
In closing, I do stress that I do not underestimate Canon lens and there are no lack of great ones.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:30 PM   #7

I'm sureyou won't be disappointed with your new kit, although your lens choice does seem a little strange, but that's personal anyway and you can always use your legs until you can afford additional lenses.
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote