Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:39 PM   #1

Well it's technically my mum's but she wants me to buy it from her so that's that I am doing.

I love the camera. I just wish it wasn't so rainy here in Vancouver so I could take it outside for a spin!

Does anyone have any advice for this being my first DSLR camera? I've been using a Powershot S3 recently and I've got a bit o experience with my 35mm Asahi Pentax camera.

Thanks!

Gimli
http://www.tyleringram.com
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:21 AM   #2

Gimli wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any advice for this being my first DSLR camera?
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Actually, afew pieces of advice:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE - but practice with purpose. Firing off 1000 shots of just anything really won't help you improve.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2. Learn photography - get books from library and use the internet to learn the principles of photography: exposure, aperture, shutter speed, dynamic range, depth of field, composition, etc. etc. etc. The practice step above should be done with a mind to practice these principles. I would challenge you to leave the automatic modes behind as soon as possible and use aperture priority, shutter priority and manual mode all the time. Why? Because it forces you to do some thinking. In the end, you don't want to rely on luck to get a good shot.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3. Find a particular type of photography that interests you and study it in-depth for a few months - whether it's portrait, macro, wildlife, landscape, sports - whatever it is. This 'deep dive' into one area will reinforce the concepts from step 2. If you're constantly switching the type of photography you do in the learning stages it can be difficult to get a grasp on the photographic principles. I'm not saying do only one type of thing - I'm just saying by making one type a focus you can see some consistancy in what is required for that one thing. Then switch it up and try something else as your focus for a while. You'll be amazed at hom much of what you learn will carry over into other areas.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"4. Use other photos as an inspiration. When you are concentrating on a given area - look at whats out here on the web from other hobbyists as inspiration and for ideas - in forums, or on searches in pbase or smugmug.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"5. Be self critical. Review your shots during post processing and figure out what you like and don't like about them - do it as quickly after the shoot as possible - within a day so the memory of the shoot is still with you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:58 PM   #3

Congrats on the 350D. There are some good tutorials and resources on how to use the 350D here: -> The Canon Digital Learning Center @ photoworkshop.com

dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:53 PM   #4

Oh some good advice thanks! I like landscape photography but also like to dabble in macro, fauna and perhaps one day portrait.

I like shooting in manual modes because like you said: it gets you thinking.

Oh the link that was supplied above gave me a 500 Internal Server Error, I'll check it out later though.

Thanks again!

Ty
http://www.tyleringram.com
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote