Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:36 PM   #1

Howdy folks,

I am planning my first digital SLR purchase and like the Canon Rebel XT's. I have found that there are some XT bodies being sold for $599 and an XTi going for $719. For those who are in the know, are the additional features: more megs, better focus, dust handling capabilities, etc; worth an extra $120?

Mark :?
michmark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:58 PM   #2

Yes sir.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3

Dont forget the larger screen, (personal preference) sleek black in colour, and also 1mm larger grip!
Buhammot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:25 PM   #4

I made the same decision a couple of months ago and I went with the XT. The differences I read about just didn't seem to justify the additional cost to me. I'm not sorry. But sometimes I wonder if I would see a tremendous difference if I ever got my hands on an XTi... :? I do alot of nature shots and pictures of my aquariums and the XT has blown me away with the results.
Take care,
Mary.
mduros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:54 PM   #5

I was looking at the XT and the XTi and the differences weren't really worth to me the price difference.

The XT was $300 less than the XTi and they are similar but the 2MP extra for the XTi, the larger screen and the better sensor cleaner to me wasn't worth the $300 increase

I love my XT and I hope the weather gets better so I can play outside with it more.

For me the XT was $725 CDN with the 18-55mm lens
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:45 PM   #6

I would say the anti-dust isn't worth much. Cleaning a sensor is no big deal to me and still haven't seen real-life evidence for or against the anti-dust system (i.e. does it work as advertised or do you still need to clean the sensor).

The mp difference is also of little import. The diff between 8 and 10mp is very minor. Of the camera buyers buying entry level DSLRs I would be amazed if there were 10 shots out of 10,000 that would be noticably improved by having 2 more mp.

Other benefits like buffer handling are also minimal - if you're taking 14-shot bursts of shots I'd question what it is you're actually trying to do - you either are doing overkill or your doing serious sports, modeling, photojournalism photography that should have you buying a higher end camera anyway.

So, it comes down to the screen and the autofocus in my opinion. For the auto-focus, it depends on whether you plan on shooting sports or wildlife - these are the areas that you will notice a difference with the auto-focus improvements in the XTi. If you are then it's a no brainer - the autofocus improvements are worth every penny and more of the price difference. If you don't plan on shooting those things - it's unlikely you'd notice the difference.

The screen - well, that's up to you. For some people it's very important - to others, not so much.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:15 PM   #7

Thanks to all for you feedback. I enjoy sportscar racing, and macro photography. Maybe the faster focusing would be helpful for the former.

Mark
michmark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:40 PM   #8

i had the xt and traded it in on the xti .would do it again in a second.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:20 PM   #9

camerageak wrote:
Quote:
i had the xt and traded it in on the xti .would do it again in a second.
But why? What is the big difference to you? I'm just curious. I've had a Canon S1 IS for a few years now. When I decided to upgrade, I upgraded to the S3 IS and was horribly disappointed in the differences between the two. Except for the slightly faster shutter speed, the pictures were the same and in fact certain pics were better on the S1. I returned it and that's when I researched the XTs and decided on the XT over the XTi.
Take care,
Mary.
mduros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:46 AM   #10

Sure a larger screen might be nicer, but it's only for reviewing your shots after you take the or when you're playing in the menu. What is it on the XT 1.8"? and the XTi is 2.5"?

I like my XT and I didn't see much of a difference considering how much I saved buying the XT
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote