Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1

:sad:I bought a quantray flash for my first rebel 6mp digital a couple years back and it worked fine. When I bought both my 8mp rebel and now my 10mp rebel the flash does not want to function has anyone else had a similar issue with this or another after market flash and the rebels?

Geno
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 6:04 PM   #2
NHL

what do you mean by "does not want to function"?
-> Does it go off at all?

Under/overexposure does not mean that a flash is faulty and what model# is that Quantaray?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:05 PM   #3

Sorry I should have been more specific, the flash worked fine with my first rebel but with the other two it will do nothing when attached to the camera. The test button works fine on or off the camera. It will do nothing when the shutter is fired while on the camera. It is a QTB-7500A it has the canon module that is required for us on canon cameras. Thats about all I can think of. Is it possible that the new camera has to recognize the module?

geno:?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:47 AM   #4
NHL

genohc wrote:
Quote:
It is a QTB-7500A it has the canon module that is required for us on canon cameras.
This model was never intended for 'digital' cameras - Only EOS film cameras... :O
"Quantaray QTB-7500A Auto Flash w/Canon SLR Film Camera Module": http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/QTB7500CN.htm

Their new QDC series will work: http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/QDC800DCN.htm
-> which comes with the E-TTL module: http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/531660983.htm

Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:15 PM   #5

That creates a question? Why did it work with my 6mp rebel? Is there something different about the 8mp and the 10mp? Also is it possible to get a new lower unit for this flash that would work with the 10mp rebel. I'm sure it is made by some other flash manufacturer. Hind site being 20 20 I should have bought the cheapest canon versus a supposedly better generic unit.

geno
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:36 PM   #6

Some of the cameras have different hot shoe contacts (small contacts around the main one in the middle) those contacts use to communicate with the camera setting, in this case the Quantaray flash for film camera has one a more contactsposition themselvesright onthe camera hot shoe contacts which sent an unrecognized signal to the camera, therefore it won't go off.

Cover all the small contacts on the flashwith electrical tape exceptthe main one in the middle, you fool the camera it's a non dedicated flash like the Sunpak 383, you are ready to fire off the flash in the 10MP camera.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:43 AM   #7
NHL

genohc wrote:
Quote:
That creates a question? Why did it work with my 6mp rebel? Is there something different about the 8mp and the 10mp?
You may have the flash set on manual in which case any flash will work - All that is needed here is the center large pin to "hot"-shoe with the camera...
-> The only difference between the 6Mp and 8/10Mp cameras are the E-TTL going to E-TTL 2 which is handled by the firmware inside the camera (nothing changed in the external flash). Canon call this series of flashes their EX's.
Sigma EF-500DG Super for one works both on my older 10D (E-TTL) and my 1D Mkr II (E-TTL 2) for example

Quote:
Hind site being 20 20 I should have bought the cheapest canon versus a supposedly better generic unit.
Nobody can do anything here - Canon obsoleted their older EZ series (of which your Quantaray is also part of) which only works on film cameras. You would have had the same problem with Canon's flashes then.

Quote:
Also is it possible to get a new lower unit for this flash that would work with the 10mp rebel.
Very unlikely - my more expensive professional Metz units are having the same issue. It needs that pre-flash when you press the AEL button for the camera to meter properly.
But again if you're on manual any flash should have worked... :idea:
Old Mar 31, 2007, 2:45 PM   #8

Well what do you know! It worked. The flash went off and as soon as
I took the tape off it stopped working. So then is it only able to work manually?

I guess I'll have to do a little experimenting.

Geno:|