Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2007, 4:34 PM   #1

I had the Canon Power Shot S3IS and LOVED that camera! I just recently sold it and bought the Rebel XT. They told me since I knew the S3IS I wouldn't have troubles figuring out the Rebel XT, well they were wrong! I have the settings to where I thought they should be, etc but when I went to take a few pics today, they came out with like an orange cast/tint to them? Why? The pics I took with the S3IS are amazing well I thought by upgrading to an SLR they would be even better yet, well as it stands right now I'm not impressed at all I'm sure once I get the settings or whatever is going on correct I'll love this camera but right now I'm frustrated My daughters 9th birthday party is this coming Saturday and I NEED to get this figured out by then so please help
Bobbi12472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:12 PM   #2

Show us the picture, with more info, what mode did you use, auto or any others, what ISO, shutter speed, lens apertue, flash or without.

Your shot is underexposed, human error.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:44 PM   #3

Bobbi12472 wrote:
Quote:
but when I went to take a few pics today, they came out with like an orange cast/tint to them? Why?
Sounds like an incorrect white balance setting. Check the exif on the shots with the orange cast and see what the wb was set to
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:01 PM   #4

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
Show us the picture, with more info, what mode did you use, auto or any others, what ISO, shutter speed, lens apertue, flash or without.

Your shot is underexposed, human error.
Here is an example, can you tell it has like an orange cast/tint to it?

I had it set on auto (also tried it on P), ISO was at 100, shutter speed must have been at default same with lens apertue. Well the flash automatically pops up and I tried taking the test pics in different modes so the pics were taken with and without flash, unsure if flashed was used in this example or not (took about 20 of them as a test). Bear with me, I just got this camera so I'm still learning. I got the basics down on my "old" camera but that was a point and shoot (Canon Power Shot S3IS)
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:02 PM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Bobbi12472 wrote:
Quote:
but when I went to take a few pics today, they came out with like an orange cast/tint to them? Why?
Sounds like an incorrect white balance setting. Check the exif on the shots with the orange cast and see what the wb was set to
White balance was set on AWB
Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:06 PM   #6

Sorry, no can dofor indoor shot at ISO 100, increase it to 800 with any mode except Auto and Manual (not right now until you know how to meter the exposure to use M mode).
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:36 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The exif data gives the following info on this shot.

Exposure Time = 1/40"
F Number = F5.6
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 1600
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 55mm

As for the colour cast that is probably due to the auto white balance, every camera will give a different result. Not knowing what the shot should look like it is difficult to say how far out it is but that is easily fixed in any reasonable photo editing package.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote