Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:37 PM   #11

Nice dog Imacer. We've just got a K/C Cavalier

BTW... Returned to camera to the store. Just bought an XT/350D.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 3:09 AM   #12

You're not going to believe this...

My new XT arrived yesterday. Bought online from somebody claiming to be an official Canon refurbishment distributor.

Opened up the box and everything looked to be in order. New manuals, charger etc. Camera is almost new condition aside from very faint (hardly visible) scuff marks on some buttons.

I charged it up and took it out for a test run. All looked well.

I got home and transferred the photos to my PC then viewed them.
Right away I noticed heavy blurring in the center of the images. I had already checked the lens and viewfinder glass, so I switched the camera to "clean sensor" mode and to my horror there is a fingertip sized grease mark covering 80% of the sensor!!!

Firstly, how do you get a fingerprint on the sensor?
Secondly, how was this obvious problem missed by the so-called professional techs who repair the refurbs for resale?

Alarm bells were ringing.
If I had to guess I'd say that somebody had bought the camera and used it for a while, and then decided to return it for whatever reason and so deliberately touched the sensor knowing it would show as a flaw on the photographs.
Either that or the previous owner was a complete numty and touched the sensor without understanding what would happen.

Either way I find myself stuck with yet another camera that I cannot use.

I know it's my fault for buying a refub rather than spending an extra £100 to get a new model, but these refurbs should not be such a gamble. They should operate at 100% with no damage other than minor cosmetic indescrepencies. Functionally damaged cameras should NOT be packaged for resale.

So... Do I spend even more money on a special sensor cleaning kit to remove the grease mark, hoping that no other damage has been done to the IR filter and/or the sensor, or do I return and spend x amount of time without a camera waiting for a refund?
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:06 AM   #13

I've had a reply from the supplier. They are going to arrange a collection sometime next week and will process a refund.

I've decided I'm going to invest the extra and purchase a new model from a highstreet retailer. I need a break from the toils and risks of internet buying... I just want a camera that actually works!

Going to head out and get one shortly. Price: £380

It's more than I can get one for online but I won't have to wait for the camera, it's BRAND NEW, it's got a 12 month guarantee and full manufacturer warranty.
If (God forbid) a problem develops, I can return it to the store without having to pay for special delivery. That in itself is worth the extra as far as I'm concerned.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:02 AM   #14

TheMachine,

I hope this time you have a flawless camera. The sensor is the heart of the camera, it's a sensitive part you don't know what the previous owner did to it that's why I never recommend buying from an unknown vendor/online retailer. Same for repair service, send the camera to Canon, they have qualified technicians to do the job. Working on any micro circuit device, a well trained technician has to wear a ground wrist strap before he can work on any electronic component, he is dealing with sensitive tiny chips, sensor, circuitry...the job has to be done in a clean room environment at proper temperature, technician has to wear clean lab coat and follow strict company guideline. Digital cameras are getting more complicated, from now on you see camera makers use anti static coating on sensor, and components around it, Nikon hasn't done that yet, but I believe they will follow soon.

Enjoy your new camera, post some pictures for us.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:31 AM   #15

Photos... Ah yes, I remember those. It's been that long since I actually got to take a photo I almost forgot what they were. Cheers for the reminder lol
Old Apr 14, 2007, 1:15 PM   #16

I'm sitting here with an XT and guess what... Not a single speck on the sensor, mirror, focus screen or lens!!! I can hardly contain my excitement.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:48 AM   #17

Here's the XTI dances with ISO 800 in low light.

Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:49 AM   #18

Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:52 AM   #19

Attached Images