Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:46 PM   #1

I've somehow managed to get a little grime behind the focus screen (the one with the focus point squares printed on) on my 300D. It's on the inside, not the under-side visible from the open body.
I can't seem to get rid by means of air-bulb blowing. Is there any way I can get in there to give it a clean without damaging the camera?
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:29 PM   #2

Use a flashlight tofind a dark spot on the miror or the viewfinder screen.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:35 PM   #3

Find it? I alredy know where the grit is. How can I get rid?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:41 PM   #4

If you found the dark spot, here is what I did with my film cameras, mix 50/50 alcohol and water, use a Q tip dip in the solution just barely wet the tip not too much, and gently clean it, it's a tedius job.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:48 PM   #5

Yes but the grit has somehow found it's way inside the focus screen, between the focus screen and the viewfinder. How can I get inside there without unscrewing screws?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:09 PM   #6

TheMachine, I think you should send the camera to Canon to clean it, or just leave it alone it doesn't affect the pictures. I hope you had a good deal on the camera, go take pictures, use it to fine tune your skill, it's not your last camera,save money for the next better one and keep this one as a backup, always buy new dslr.

My firstslr film camerawas worse than your dslrnow, I had to superglue the film winder to hold it in place.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:23 AM   #7

The camera is new! I only bought it a week ago lol
I have no intention of unscrewing screws, which was why I asked was there a way to get rid of the dust myself.

It's no real problem, but it's annoying having bits on my viewfinder. I'll take it in to a camera shop and see what they can do.

Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:43 PM   #8

My rebal had the same thing. I paid a local shop $90 to clean it. The same speck was still there afterwards just in a different spot and they offered to keep it another 4-6 weeks and try to clean it again. I opted for a refund and just lived with it.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:32 PM   #9

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
My rebal had the same thing. I paid a local shop $90 to clean it. The same speck was still there afterwards just in a different spot and they offered to keep it another 4-6 weeks and try to clean it again. I opted for a refund and just lived with it.
More than a month to get rid of one spot, I'd do the same, get my money and camera back.

You live in big city, is there a Canon repair facility in your area? I'm not too far from Canon Irvine CA, I've heard they take good care of their customers, wonderful service. Some big camera shop have repair service you might want to try. Go toa1hr photolab ask if they know any good repair shop in your area, they have wedding photographers come regularly for many years, those guys can refer you a good place to fix your camera.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:15 PM   #10

I sent my camera for cleaning to Canon repair. They charged me only $30.00. The camera came back within two weeks and I live in Alaska. They told if I had my camera under a year their was no charge, but it was over a year. Give them a call. Good luck...
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote