Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:32 PM   #1

Hi All, I am thinking about getting this camera and was wondering if any of you could post some pics taken with it with the lens that comes with it as standard (18-55mm lens). Also, perhaps you could post pics taken with it with different lens too - but please state which lens were used and how much they cost. Would really appreciate it!

Also I have a few questions I hope you can help with.

First one is, are the standard lens bad? On the amazon reviews a few people said they were really bad and that you pretty much had to get a new lens (costing around half the price of the camera itself!) to get decent shots... any truth in this? Also can you take macro shots with the std lens?

Second question I have is, I was originally going to get the Fuji s5700 (new model replacement for s5600) but got looking at pics taken with the Canon and am tempted! My question is, is the Canon much better than the Fuji s5700 (which costs around half the price) with standard lens/with upgraded lens? Sorry if that's a dumb question - but I need to justify the extra outlay, or I may think I spent more than I should have (Just bought a PS3 so shouldn't be on a spending spree really! :?)

Normally the EOS 400D sells for around £449 to £499 but I may be able to get a brand new one for £349, which is great because originally I didn't want to spend more than £160! (cost of fuji 5700) So am willing to jump in if the camera really is as good as I've heard

Should add I have never used a slr/dslr camera before, but I'd like to think I am a quick learner.

Thanks in advance - and cheers to all of you who have posted pics in other threads... I've been on the site ages looking at them all! (just wish it was easier to tell which kit/lens was used for each pic).

PS. Forgot to add, I'll be using the camera for pretty much everything, but will be taking lots of pics of cats and dogs (wasn't sure if that would be relevant).
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:43 PM   #2

Raze wrote:
Quote:

Normally the EOS 400D sells for around £449 to £499 but I may be able to get a brand new one for £349, which is great because originally I didn't want to spend more than £160! (cost of fuji 5700) So am willing to jump in if the camera really is as good as I've heard

Should add I have never used a slr/dslr camera before, but I'd like to think I am a quick learner.

Thanks in advance - and cheers to all of you who have posted pics in other threads... I've been on the site ages looking at them all! (just wish it was easier to tell which kit/lens was used for each pic).

PS. Forgot to add, I'll be using the camera for pretty much everything, but will be taking lots of pics of cats and dogs (wasn't sure if that would be relevant).

"Should add I have never used a slr/dslr camera before, but I'd like to think I am a quick learner."

Good, you already have a goal, very daring, brave, advanturous...l:-)

With Canon you have no problem to find any low budget lens from third parties Co, so don't worry. Maybe Neil can help you with the price overthere, I don't know the exchange rate between the two monetary system.

Are you talking about those pictures in the 400D thread? If so, it's me and Neil, the two guys met online exchanging pictures and we developed a good friendship along the way, we respect each other, very sincere. I hope someday I have a chance to show down with him on the field, I'll show my best to beat him, and I hope he'll do the same to me, at the end we crack jokes.

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:55 PM   #3

the kit lens is more lens..people quote that the18-55 is bad just because of the myth surrounding them. THe 18-55 is a slow lens compared to some other 400 dollor fast lens.

the fuji s5700 must probably have a f2.8 lens. The 18-55 is f4.5 to f5.6 lens (i may not be right) but slower than f2.8.

so people who want the f2.8 always say the kit lens is crap. Honestly there are so many people who do daily shoots of their kids in school, kids in their home, cats and dogs so happily.

Many dont even print more than 8*12

The camera does have a flash which is almost as good as the s5700.

U wouldnt go wrong with the DSLR> Coz this is one hobby which has so much scope to improve.

Either way u would be happy. The S5700 is a great camera. Its more like a point and shoot with lot of SLR controls.

with 400D u have ooption to expand ur interest. From Super wide angle fotos to Telephoto ones.

There is a 50mmf 1.8 lens that costs around 65 dollors here in US. That will complement the kit lens too.

Pictures taken with 18-55

http://search.pbase.com/search?q=18-55&c=sp

pictures taken with the fuji S5600(the S5700 will def be similar or better for sure)..

http://www.pbase.com/kfpm/fuji_s5200s5600

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:01 PM   #4

Here are some photos I've taken with my nearly new xti; I'm practicing and learning also....this forum is definitely a help. The winter scene is with the 18-55 kit lens and the other two are with the 85mm f1.8 lens. I've used the 85mm indoors at my granddaughter's indooor basketball games with success; the school gymsare poor for adequate lighting. I think the kit lenses do pretty well, but maybe I'm just easy to please. Maybe I'll have one of those fancy "L" lenses that Canon makes someday. Good luck.

Bob from Wisconsin

Attached Images

rornberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:04 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:04 PM   #6

Attached Images

Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:07 PM   #7

By the way, the 85mm f1.8 cost me $409 from B&H Photo.

Bob
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:10 PM   #8

Coldshot - Yep... I spent ages looking at your pictures thread - great pics! And great to see you two build up a raport

Could you possibly post some pics in this thread too, and mention which kit was used for the pics? (Or do you only use the one lens with your camera?) That would be a great help

I'm still trying to convince myself I should take the plunge and spend the extra :lol:

Edit: Just noticed your reply Nymphetamine!

Nymphetamine - Thanks for the info and links... I am getting more and more sold on the Canon, your pics here look superb: http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/kitlens and that with the standard lens A great thing as you say, is that I can expand my interest with additional kit... although I'm not sure how many more 'expensive' hobbies I can afford :-)

Edit 2:

Rornberg - Great pics! Thanks for posting - you certainly don't take pics like a beginner That dog one is ultra cute - you should post it on www.dogsey.com too

If (any of) you have more pics taken with this camera I'd love to see them
Raze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:38 PM   #9

Raze wrote:
Quote:
Could you possibly post some pics in this thread too, and mention which kit was used for the pics? (Or do you only use the one lens with your camera?) That would be a great help

Oh boy, I have too many pictures, can't remember which lens I used, give me time I'll look for the needle in the hay stack.:-)

I can see that most of us who move up from p&s have limited budget to buy expensive lenses, some are college students, some have family responsibilities, some just simply want a walkaround lens for general purpose pictures as long as it's better than the pray & shoot cameras.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:55 PM   #10

Here's a couple others....the church is with the kit lens, andthe other is one of my granddaughters shooting for "2" with the 85mm, Aperture priority, 1/250, f2.8, ISO 800. Bob
Attached Images