Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2003, 6:12 AM   #1

Default Question about choices concerning extenders or not ?

Hi,

I have the following lenses in my case at the moment:

Canon 35-105 / f3.5-4.5 older push/pull lens, this lens gives me VERY good results I must say.

And I will be adding a Sigma:
70-210 f 2.8 APO soon also an older model but it's supposed to be a very good lens.

My question is the following.

When it really counts I will be using the Sigma but 210 is sometimes not enough zoom so I was thinking about getting a 1.4 or 2.0 convertor for it (or both). I don't want to be penned down to one brand because I think I will be changing lensen over time, when my budget allows and I find something nice.

My main photograps are birds/animals in zoo/soccer and other sports and offcours round the house with my wife and son.

For arround the house I think I will get more than enough from the 35-105 so that's covered.

For the other shooting I want to have at least 300mm zoom, so a 1.4 should be a sure buy and with a 2.8 this should be no problem (am I right).

I would also love to SOMETIMES get even closer, I will be using a tripod than. I think the 2.0 convertor is a good choice for that, again coupled with the 2.8 lens it should be no problem........

I don't want to loose AF or display of Aperture/Shutter etc., and I want to use it for futher lenses.

I have tried a Sigma 1.4 x APO convertor but my Canon lens won't fit that so that will not be the one I guess, leaves me with :
Kenko and Tamron.... both are getting both good and bad reviews.

Both gives me as far as I know full support for future lens purchases.

Hope you can help out a bit.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:28 AM   #2

The 1.4x TC that I have is the Canon. I like it, but it's expensive.

I have heard very good things about the Kenko pro 1.4TC. I haven't heard anything about the Tamron (take that as you will.)

Since you are like me and are very picky about image quality, I'm not sure you really want to use a 2x TC. You're right you'll still have AF, but picture quality will drop because you'll be magnifying all the defects in the lens... making them more prominant.

I would suggest that you try to find a local shop that will let you take some pictures with your lens and their 2x TC. Then take them home and look at them and see what you think. I would kinda be surprised if you get acceptable results. Its possible... but for the likes of us its doubtful.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 11:53 AM   #3
NHL

Why would you want to put a TC on the Canon 35-105 / f3.5-4.5?

Would it put this combination TC/lens in the range of your Sigma 70-210 f 2.8 APO but with a really dark viewfinder limiting it's useabilty (and AF). The Sigma TC is matched to their lenses just like the Canon is... I would think it should work better than any general purpose TC, wouldn't you?

The way I see it is: there's a few more Sigma lenses that I would add to my stable than @ Tamron. IMO Tamron makes very good compact lens (usually cost more), but your choice with Tamron is more limited than the Sigma line. Plus Sigma also has ultrasonic and optical stabilizer now as well, and if you pick your lens carefully a Sigma TC would be matched to theses future acquisition as well!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Plus Sigma also has ultrasonic and optical stabilizer now as well
Is their optically stablized len any more than a dream? I've heard it referenced but never heard of it for sale. Has anyone every seen it? Actually held it?

Eric
Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:43 PM   #5

@NHL,

I'm in no way thinking about adding a convertor to my 35-105 lens , but I do want the option open when I buy new lenses in the future that it fits.

My primairy shooting will be in the 100-300 range, sometimes I would like to have a 400 range but most of the time it's more the fun to get so close than the real quality of the photo's.

That's why I opted for AND a 1.4 AND a 2.0 the 2.0 being for having fun untill I can afford a good zoom lens from lets say the 50-500 from Sigma, which looks very nice for having arround when you cannot switch from lenses easy.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jul 23, 2003, 2:59 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Is their optically stablized len any more than a dream? I've heard it referenced but never heard of it for sale. Has anyone every seen it? Actually held it?
You tell me: :lol:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...sku=SG80400EOS Their 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 has a similar note last month when I bought the EF 28-135 IS USM, but is now in stock!

Quote:
My primairy shooting will be in the 100-300 range, sometimes I would like to have a 400 range but most of the time it's more the fun to get so close than the real quality of the photo's.
Actually I'm contemplating this one (instead of my current EX 70-200mm f2.8 HSM) that wasn't in stock either a month ago but also just released:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...ku=SG120300EOS

but the 50-500mm is definetly cheaper (and lighter), but you don't get the constant f2.8 and can't use the TC with it either!
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:18 PM   #7

That's a nice one....

I probarbly just bought a Soligor 2.0 extender for 80,00 or a quateramy for 30,00 but I think I will go with the Soligor for that kind of money it's always nice to have and play with it.

Maybe I will mate it once with a Canon EF 75-300III usm for the MEGA zoom, having an almost 1000mm lens gives me goosebumps, what about quality, I want zoom .

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:28 PM   #8
NHL

... but remember when you go past f/5.6 with a TC, you'll only have a MF focus lens!
Old Jul 23, 2003, 3:32 PM   #9

I will be using it with the 2.8 lens only.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:01 PM   #10

NHL

I just looked at adorama and they do not list any OS sigma lens 24-135mm f2.8-4.5. The only one I saw was this one:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...sku=SG24135EOS

Did I missunderstand you? Their long lens OS has been out of stock for 8 months (as far as I know its never been "in stock"). This is why I'm starting to wonder if it really exists or ever will.

Frank Doorhof

Seriously, consider the Kenko Pro TC. I've heard good things about mating it with both Canon and Nikon lenses (from people who really care about picture quality.) How it would mate up with a Sigma lens I don't know. But I'd bet it would be worth the month to try it.

Eric