Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:03 PM   #1

Hi Guys

Can somebody point me to any comparison between 5D and 1D Mark II with respect to Noise Characterestics.

I currenly have a 5D and very rarely print beyong 12*18 or 11*14. I am sure the 8.5Mp of the 1d Mark II would help me achieve the same prints. Though the IQ of

I started shooting birds and had more hits with an original 1D i got from my friend. The AF was great and i ended up having more keepers than the 5D.

If some of the experienced folks here can throw some light it would be great.

I was using the 5D for lots of low light shooting at iso800 and above with a 85L. The results were really awesome to print even a 8*12

Please do share ur thoughts

Me
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:17 AM   #2

I don't know of any direct compairsons, although you could do it yourself by looking at Steve's reviews of each camera and looking at the noise. I think he posts full size images later on in the review. If he doesn't then you can always go to http://www.imaging-resource.com/ as I *know* that they post full size images from the camera.

My guess (and its just a guess) is that the 5D will have better noise characteristics. Almost certainly.

but for birds and such the 1D MkII (or the "N") will be much better. As you said, better AF... don't forget the deeper buffer and the fast flushing of the buffer to the card.

If you can wait a month or so, the 1D MkIII will be out and that should depress the value of the 1D MkII N... or you could just go with the newer camera (for more money, of course.) The MkIII looks like it has the potential to be a *stunning* camera.

But it's all potential right now. Can't wait till it hits the street and we see real world testing with it. I want one, but I'm going to wait a month or two to make sure there are no kinks in production. So much is very new that I don't trust them to get it right the first time.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:58 AM   #3

thanks eric., Id MKIII is a overkill for me. I dont want to really spend 4k on a camera at this moment. I am currently having a 5D. With weather sealing and the AF (which i want more than the 12Mp since i dont print much) i am looking out for mark II or Mark IIN. I just missed a deal the other day when a 20K odd actuations mark II N went for 2400. These cameras shutter last like 150k atleast.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The refurb market has raised the price of mark II to now 2499 from 2399. I meant at adorama. I thought it would come down after the mark III but the prices are still staying in and aorund that price.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Willl wait for a month or two to see if the prices go down.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Honestly, its very hard to think of letting go the 5D. :?
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:39 PM   #4
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Can somebody point me to any comparison between 5D and 1D Mark II with respect to Noise Characterestics.
My guess is it would fall somewhere between the 1Ds MrkII and the 5D which are plotted on dpreview:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote