Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2003, 6:33 AM   #1

Default Shutter lag on Canon EOS 10D

Hi all!

Can you tell me if the Canon EOS 10D has much shutter lag?? For example, I would like to use this camera to take photos of FAST moving objects.
photoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 6:39 AM   #2

NO shutterlag, even after a continues shoot of 9 frames you can alsmost immediatly start shooting again.

For fast moving objects it's the dream come true.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 6:48 AM   #3

Great! I am looking at buying this camera tomorrow and just wanted some more info on the camera. Thanks for your help! One other thing, would you recommend a Canon EF 90-300 Non-USM Lens for this camera??
photoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:28 AM   #4

Hi,

I think you mean the 75-300III ?
I used this lens myself and I'm not so satisfied with the results, although for the price it's a good chouce. I would look on the net, there are alot of second hand lenses for good prices for sale.

I just bought a Sigma APO 75-210 f 2.8 for arround $ 400,00 with lenshood, I will mate it with a Soligor 2x extender and a 1.4x extender totalling way under the price of a similair solution new.

The 10D really deserves good glass I found out.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:55 AM   #5

I would also recommend that you get a lens with USM. I expect it will make a difference.

For fast moving objects, you will (probably) want to use focus tracking (AI Focus.) To keep up with a really fast moving object, you'll want/need USM.

Since 2 of my 3 lenses have USM, I really can't say from experience. But it only seems to make sense.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:58 AM   #6

Hi,

I have two lensen without USM one really old and they track perfectly with birds or sport shots.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:08 AM   #7
NHL

The benefit of USM (HSM in Sigma) is not just fast and quiet focus, but the manual overide of the AF. With other lenses you have to flip to the MF mode or use the lens's built-in clutch mechanism! On others like on the new E1 it's done through a fly-by-wire, ie you turn a free turning encoder ring on the lens which will then use the camera's AF mechanism to do the manual focusing. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:04 AM   #8

Always consider to buy USM lens if you can...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 7:59 PM   #9

Shutter lag on the 10D is fairly short but not as short as the 1D which is claimed to be the world's fastest digital SLR. The 1D uses a CCD rather than a CMOS sensor which is one of the reasons why it is faster. See www.imaging-resource.com for specific details of shutter lag timings as they measure them as part of their camera reviews.
tintinphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 6:28 AM   #10
NHL

IMO, I don't think CCD vs CMOS is a factor (a CMOS design is actually faster than an analog shifting CCD). Check out the 1Ds speed, it's also a CMOS sensor with even less of a shutter lag than the 1D...
Remember the sensors speeds do not come into play until after the shutter is released, and the shutter lag is before this and has more to do with the AF and shutter interrupt latency... This process hasn't changed since the film bodies where theses cameras are based on. CMOS/CCD speed is a factor when it comes to the image processing (or cycle time) between shots, but then it's not fair to compare the 1Ds to the 1D: The 1Ds output a picture with ~3 times the resolution of the 1D!

I think the speed of the processor used and the market target cost for the 10D is more of a factor than anything, and it is plenty fast already. The lenses have to keep up, ie get the ultrasonic lenses to gain that extra edge!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote