Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:36 PM   #1

Yesterday, my new 400D + Kit arrived. It was purchased from an eBay retailer named Cameta Camera.They haveover 160,000 feedbacks, 99%+ rating, and state they are Canon Authorized & don't sell gray market. Seems like a safe bet. Plus, they have an Amazon store with similar rating and I checked out their regular Interweb page.

My only concern is the validity of the Warranty Card. The bottom of my Warranty Card has perforation marks where it looks like a mail in registration card may have been torn off. My question to you is did your Warranty Cards have a tear-off section on the bottom or do your cards have perforation marks on the bottom?

Next question is about lens filters. On my old Nikon CoolPix, I used the UV filter. I plan to get another one. Probably one from Hoya. Is there a major difference between UV and UV with multi-coating? Also, I am a basic amateur interested in taking photos of my 6 year olds. Do I need to get any other filters such as Polarizing or Circular Polarizing?

Lastly, now that I am broke, anybody have any spare change to donate so I can buy a Speedlite? Just kidding. Thanks for your advice.

Edit:

Forgot to ask a final question about the Underexposure issue.

I have seen bits of info here and on dpreview about this and how Firmware v. 1.0.5 might fix the issue. Does the firmwre update fix the issue? How do I determine what firmware my camera has? How do I download the latest firmware if it is available?

Thank you again.

docfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:57 PM   #2

ON the warranty card , do you see the serial number of your camera "BODY NO ....." The bottom half is for dealer record.

To check the camera firmware, press MENU button on the back of the camera, go to the last tab in yellow, you see the firmware version at the bottom.

Hold on to the filters purchase right now, when you know what your walkaround lens would be. A multicoated UV filter is good to have, know your general purpose lens first. The Polarizing filter is another useful tool, but not necessary for you rigth now, unless you plan to take pictures of reflecting surfaceat acar show. We'll go into filters later, firt get to know your camera, read the manual many times.

Congratulation on yournewfancy toy.

Welcome to Canon camp, the rule of engagement is simple, leave your IS/SR home, shoot first and ask question later. Don't worry, after a few hairy escapes, you'll shoot like a sharpshooter.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 1:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the guidance, Coldshot.

The warranty card does have the body number listed.

I had a blast taking photos of my kids at the park today. The camera performed better than I expected. Here's a shot of one my girls.

I checked my firmware and it's 1.0.4.

Thanks again.

Attached Images

docfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 7:36 PM   #4

docfreud,

That's a tricky shot, you framed it well, good composition, you can play with all kind of color, contrast, density with it in pp, a great shot to begin with. The girls look alike.:-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:29 PM   #5

Doc
I also have the 400D great camera but it went wrong phoned Canon they told me to send it to Colchester Camera's a repair agent which I did, I included the warranty card heard nothing for a week so phoned C Camera's they told me the repair would be 140.00," what..." I said "it's under warranty" you did not include a reciept they said, "the camera's been out for less than a year" say's I "how can it not be under warranty." the upshot was as I had bought the camera like you on ebay I had no reciept I then got onto Canon a further wait of a week and a half and they said of course it's under warrnty but without a reciept the agent cant fix it they then phoned the agent and a month later I got my camera back as new all working warning to others canon want to see a reciept for warranty work
Tom
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote