Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2003, 4:23 PM   #1

Default Canon NOT standing behind their product

:x Canon... first canon camera.... may be the last.

Okay, I realize that one sampling is not enough to make a decision on, but since it is happening to me, I just might.

I purchased a 10D.

I bought it from 17th street photo, they have a 7 day return policy on digital cameras.

About day 10, I noticed a bad pixel, or several. In any case, it affects a group of pixels in about a 5-pixel diameter. My only recourse, according to canon, is to send it to them for repair. They estimate 7 to 10 business days for the return.

I send it (at my expense). It talk to a technician, he says they will “remap” the pixels. This solution seems more of a workaround to me, but If it looks okay I think I can live with it. After all, I have about 6.3 million other pixels.

The camera takes 22 days to make it back to me. ( I won’t go into detail about how their tracking and status system was never quite correct)

I get the camera back. There may be an improvement (It is hard to tell since the problem is more noticeable depending on conditions I have not quite been able to nail down), but it is STILL UNACCEPTABLE.

So I talk to canon (after their phone system hangs up on my about 5 times after waiting on hold). They still refuse to give me a new camera or give me my money back. Now, it seems I will be without it for another 3 weeks or so.

So, $1500 for the camera… about $700 more in accessories and a lens, and they have the camera more than I do.

I pressed for a new camera and they said since they didn’t sell them directly, they had no stock. When I asked “what would you do if I sent it in with a problem that was not fixable… the person I spoke with didn’t know.

So now it looks like I am stuck again with waiting. On top of that, I am not certain they will be able to fix it to my liking…. EVER.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT LEVERAGE I MAY HAVE to force them to give me a new camera or get the money back for it and the accessories I purchased? I do use this camera for a hobby-business. I have had to reschedule shoots… this is really pissing me off…

I’ll be glad to furnish names, phone numbers, and example files of the problem.

Thanks.

Jeff

stevesdigifurm@thecontinos.com
jcontino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 4:35 PM   #2
djb

is the 7 day return policy at 17th st. photo for any kind of return or is it just for returns to get your money back?? maybe you can have them send you a new camera? retailers tend to get better service from manufacturers or distributors.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 5:49 PM   #3

Default returns and exchanges, 7 days only

I don't know if I could have talked them into it after the first 10 days, but now it have been over 30 since it has been sitting on a shelf at canon not being repaired.

Thanks for the thought though.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:21 PM   #4
djb

i'd still try to get 17th st. photo to do something if you aren't satisfied with canon. ya never know.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:52 AM   #5

Are you sure it is a set of bad pixels? Or do you have some dust on your cmos sensor?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 2:38 AM   #6

I think it's dust to.
Could you post a picture ?

Many people claim to have dust on new ones, mine had a big blob on the censor a little compressed air was enough to blow it away, it's perfect now.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 1:32 PM   #7

Frank,

Canon is correct about repairing their products, their repair center does not have new camera in stock. When you discover the product is defective, you should send it back to the store within the return period, and the store will replace or refund your money. IF the repair by Canon service center is not acceptable by you, you can request them to replace the whole CMOS chip, and not try to re-map the damaged pixel.

Next time, try out the camera intensively within the allowed return period, anything wrong with it, do not send it to repair center, return it to the store that you purchased from. Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 8:46 PM   #8

Dust??? I hope the technician could have fixed that!!!

No, pretty sure it isn't. It changes the way it looks depending on the context of the photo.

Just wanted to update.

Two things have happened.

After a few more calls, I got someone from the service center to send FedEx for a pickup to have the camera delivered over night.

I also had a call from someone from the Canon USA corporate office who read my posting. They have asked for the files to analyze the problem and have promised to keep on top of the repair. I will update this site when I find out more.

I'll be glad to post some photos.. although probably later this weekend. Is there an easy way to do it through this forum???
Old Jul 25, 2003, 9:10 PM   #9

Default here are the pics

http://www.selectportraits.com/canon
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:09 PM   #10

Maybe it's an artifact of the enlarging, but it does look a little too square to be dust. I'm sure others here (with more experience) can comment.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote