Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:59 PM   #1

maybe I should have asked this question in another forum, but I shoot RAW,convert to TIFF and open in CS2. Let's say I add text or do some layers work. When I save as...I don't see jpeg as an option in the drop down options. I see photoshop files and others..is there something I can do to the file so I can save it as a jpeg. I flattened them before saving...thanks
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:58 AM   #2

It will be one of two reasons Donna.
Either you have saved as a 16 Bit TIFF, in which case you need to go to Image > Mode and select 8 Bits/Channel.
This is because JPEGS cannot be saved as anything other than 8 Bit files.

Or, if it is already 8 Bit, then simply try scrolling up the list using the scroll bar to the right of the panel ;-)
And this is because the format is currently TIFF, which resides at the bottom of a longish list of formats. Consequently, you are only seeing the bottom half of the available options ;-)

Btw...you don't need to flatten the file prior to saving as a JPEG, PS will do this automatically.
You only need to flatten when you are certain you have finished editing, in order to reduce the file size for space purposes and for exporting for print etc.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3

thanks steve...I did fiqure out I was using 16bit color mode and that was the problem...so I have saved a lot of TIFF files unfortunately...thus eating up my Ram...I went back and saved some as jpegs when I realized how much space I was using. I called my computer store today and will have to double my RAM...cs2 is eating up my computer if I work in layers, frames etc...being a bit new to all this...I innocently was shooting RAW and saving eveything in TIFF with layers!
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 1:01 PM   #4

Jpeg is also a loser when trying to save high quality images
Seems this compresses the pixels and eliminates some detail, perhaps every time you open the file.
I have three back up HD's to place all my files and photo's, movies, and uncompressed data. You can go to LaCie for example and look at the triple interface units, some refurb at great prics. Using a simple back up program the images can be saved on the HD and accessed immediately via Firewire or USB 2

This wont solve your RAM problem. Many do not know that each time you save or add a lyer, Adobe creates another file, just a large I think, just in case you do an "undo".. and if you have a lot of changes, that adds up pretty fast

I am just saying, working on the media we now have, especially DVD from digicams.. and making movies is really ram intensive. Depending on your computer, yoou may try "virtual ram" where the HD acts as RAM. Slower but wont crash the system as much. Also try rebooting into another "user" and shutting down all non- needed programs.. like say on a PC, Norton. Why spend RAm on this when you will not be online. Just get basic and save space for the job. Call it "Media user" Check out Lossless files as well. I hope this helps. What type computer are you using
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 2:41 PM   #5

Tommccarty raises a couple of good points Donna, like, have you got a secondary hard drive to designate as a scratch disk ?
Sure, more physical memory (Ram) is the way to go for pretty much anything these days, but in the interim, if you can set up a scratch disk, this will give PS some virtual memory to use.
It uses this to swap out data temporarily to free up ram when needed.
It should be on a different hard drive to the one that Wndows uses as it's paging file, virtual memory.
This is normally a drive that Windows is not installed on.

If you would like advice on setting this up, give us a shout :-)

As for saving your files.
TIFFs produce the largest file sizes and it's debatable as to whether you can actually benefit hugely enough to justify the space needed.
It's a lossless format, meaning no data is discarded when saving and closing the file as there is when doing so with a JPEG file.
Yes, as you are aware, you can save layered TIFFs, but personally I would recommend you save as PSD files.
PS's native format enables you to save layers, layer styles and all sorts. But crucially, they are also lossless and produce much smaller file sizes than TIFFS (bigger than JPEGS).

You know where to find me if you would like any further info/help with this ;-)

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 3:27 PM   #6

And if you are using a Mac, call me
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote