Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:16 AM   #1

My focus point is almost always on the center...I shoot RAW 99% of the time. but I have noticed in the landscape mode the focus points are multiple and cover different areas of the shot. When shooting a group in raw, should I change from my center focus...orfor landscapes, mimic the focus point in the landscape mode?
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:11 PM   #2

That you are shooting in RAW or shooting in Landscape or Portrait should not effect your choice of auto-focus points.
So in that respect, I'm not sure I understand your question.

With Canon cameras, it picks the AF point that is over the closes thing. This is often not what you want. So I would recommend using a single AF point (usually the center) and then fine tuning it if you feel it needs it. Some lenses have "Full-time manual override" which is a fancy way of saying that if you start to focus manually the camera stops auto-focusing.

When you're shooting a group, here is my advice (note I rarely shoot groups of people!):
- Try to get them to light up fairly close together. Depth of field is an issue and you want to make sure that everyone will be in focus.
- Use a fairly large f-stop, assuming that won't hurt quality of the image. F8 to F11 should do fairly well. That should increase depth of field.
- Take several images, to increase the chance that someone won't have their eyes shut.
- If you are out doors have your shadow pointing at the group. This way they should all be in the sun - If the sun is very bright, though, they could be squinting which isn't the most appealing image.

That is what I can think of....

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:32 PM   #3

if shooting outside use a-dep.it will give your dof and get everybody in focus . if using flash don't use a-dep cause it don't work with flash.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:00 AM   #4

thanks guys...I thought of using the depth of field mode...that confirms it. Donna
Donna A. is offline   Reply With Quote