Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 4, 2007, 2:37 PM   #1

Not that I need it but I have an oportunity to buy a used 10D with battery grip and extrasand a Sigma 170-500 for around $800-900. I looked at B&H and the lens is almost worth that alone. I already have an XTi so this would just be a "second" camera, I'm mainly looking at the lens.......

So, isa 10D with that lens worth buying since I already have a newer camera or would I be "downgrading" buy getting it....Hope my question/what I'm wanting to know makes sense.

I guess I'm asking "are the features of the 10D and lensworth it and would you get it given the chance?"

Thanks
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2007, 3:26 PM   #2
NHL

overkill wrote:
Quote:
So, isa 10D with that lens worth buying since I already have a newer camera or would I be "downgrading" buy getting it....Hope my question/what I'm wanting to know makes sense.
Is it really a downgrade though?
-> You can now shoot @ ISO-3200 which you could not do with the "newer" Xti

The downside is the 10D is all metal so it'll have more heft to it (especially with the grip) than you existing camera. Also it won't take any EF-s lens so you'll be limited to full-frame lenses only...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 3:33 PM   #3

Thanks, NHL. I saw that it had the 3200 ISO but I also saw that the MP was 6.3 vice 10..... I know there is some debate about what is enough or not enough MP and I dont want to start that debate.... I also didnt mean downgrade in a bad way. Just weighing the pros/cons.

I appreciatethe input.

ahh.... and the lenses.... that would put a little bit of a damper on things... have to watch what lenses I buy.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 4:28 PM   #4
NHL

overkill wrote:
Quote:
I know there is some debate about what is enough or not enough MP and I dont want to start that debate...
I agree and that's why I made a point not to mention it since I still have 20x30 prints framed on several commercial walls from that camera
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 4:35 PM   #5

If you have the opportunity to get a 10D at a reasonable price, I would say get it. I am not THAT crazy about Sigma lenses, even though I own a few, but it is a great backup camera, holds up well to some pretty rough treatment and I have found mine to be very reliable. When shooting with a Canon 24-70 mm which the lens I use the most, it is rather heavy, but honestly cannot complain about the camera itself. My 2 cents worth.
Photoguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote