Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 11, 2007, 12:48 PM   #11

Thanks for the info.... looks like I did have a reasonable understanding of how things work. But its always nice to get that reaffirmed by someone who knows more than I.

And you definitely know way more about flash use than I. I use it some, but I don't really claim to have a good understanding of it.

You might be remembering that article correctly. If you find the link do let me know.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 2:28 PM   #12
NHL

eric s wrote:
Quote:
TYou might be remembering that article correctly. If you find the link do let me know.
I found the link, but they've changed the content...
-> The results are still the same however: instead of the 550EX, the 580EX is now dead last again!
http://shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc031.htm
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 8:36 AM   #13

For some of the pros and cons above, curious for one last set of feedback...

While certainly not made of money, I generally prioritize and save up for the better versions of what I want, example 30d for beginner camera over Rebel. (More than I need clearly but NO REGRETS in the world over some limitations of Rebel.) That said, I do analyze things to the nth degree because, unlike some others here, I can't just say "oops, willy nilly, there goes $500. I'll do better next time." These decisions are investments!

So, what I'm looking for is any type of "you can't go wrong with the sigma super. It's actually a better option because... Those extra features will help you... You'll like them when you... You won't need to get a second flash as soon because..."

or

"If you know you'll get a master later, do go with the 430EX. You'll like it's xxx better even though the Sigma is more feature rich and the 430 clearly does xxx better. When you have the 430 and a 580 you'll be much better off than a Sigma because..."

The utility. The day-to-day feel and useful over price/features argument.

Finally, fully aware by now that very few of the regulars here, the teachers, the heads-full-of-photography knowledge will give a straight up recommendation or endorsement, just curious if there is anything more than the arguments, scratch that, unbiased feature reports above that someone whose never even touched an external flash may not yet think to consider...

Thanks.

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 8:16 AM   #14
NHL

If in doubt - go with the Canon... :idea:

-> If for some reason things do not not pan out, the equipments is always at fault and never their user - Since Canon wrote the Bible, Sigma will always be assumed to be @ fault regardless of how many people here already have excellent results with 3rd party flashes (or lenses)

The Sigma may be better when you'll gain more experiences... but probably too sophisticated for a beginner such as compatibility with studio lights (which you might not have any plan for anyway)
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote