Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 9, 2007, 11:24 AM   #1

Is there a counter besides the "shot remaining"displaythat will tell me the total amount ofphotos I've taken since day one with camera? Thanks!

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 12:29 PM   #2

The Shots Remaining is the count of how much space there is left on your flash card. It doesn't count how many you've taken ever.

I've heard rumors that some Canon cameras do actually keep track of this and you can read it out when you hook the camera to your computer (like when you set the date/time or put your name into the camera.) But I'm honestly not sure if you can on the 20D.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 3:11 PM   #3

You can see actual number of lifetime photos taken with 20D only in service. Nikon easies the thing, and you can check it with utility software when connected to the PC over USB.

Yes, 20D keeps tracking the number of all shots taken in lifetime, but you cannot see it.
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 3:20 PM   #4

Thanks guys!

Chris
Old May 11, 2007, 9:10 AM   #5

Your file numbering - the folder number plus IMG number of each shot - is progressive unless you reset it so the number assigned to your last picture will be the total number of shots you have taken So if your folder number is 45 and the IMG number 4597, that is picture number 4597 taken by the camera.
jwhig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 1:00 PM   #6

jwhig wrote:
Quote:
Your file numbering - the folder number plus IMG number of each shot - is progressive unless you reset it so the number assigned to your last picture will be the total number of shots you have taken So if your folder number is 45 and the IMG number 4597, that is picture number 4597 taken by the camera.
AHH, but the the number only goes to 9999. So, the trick is to remember how many times it has reset. If you've gotten a camera from someone else you have no way of knowing wither it's reset 0, 1 or 10 times.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 3:59 PM   #7

and it depends on cf cards too. I was shooting with a card that started at 3000, i shot around 400 shots and the image number was 3400.

I swapped to another card and shot a few pictures. The number started at 9705.

So unless canon start providing the information in the exif there is no way to verify it.

Atleast by age of the camera one can do a rough guess. A four month old camera on a novice could have atleast 4000 shots. But again, thats a guess. It could easilly be more or less. For me my mileage is around 1000 shots a month. So if i have a camera for 6 months i atleast know i have 6000 clicks.

and add to it the 9999 images reset. ))
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 4:48 PM   #8

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've turned the counter over at least 3 or maybe 4 times already :-) I was just wondering how many more frames I've got till I should expect to replace the shutter.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:54 AM   #9

It can happen tommorow, or it can last 150 000. You never know. But it is fact that 20D's shutter lasts much more then 10D's, so I wouldn't much worry about it. Actually, I know many people replacing shutter on 10D's, but noone on 20D or 350D.
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 8:24 AM   #10

nidza wrote:
Quote:
It can happen tommorow, or it can last 150 000. You never know. But it is fact that 20D's shutter lasts much more then 10D's, so I wouldn't much worry about it. Actually, I know many people replacing shutter on 10D's, but noone on 20D or 350D.
Good to know! Thanks Nidza!