Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 10, 2007, 3:10 AM   #1

How do I get my shutter to stay open witht he kit lens? and what setting should it be on?

Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2007, 4:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

What do you want to keep the shutter open for? Are you looking for shutter lock up or something else?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 4:41 PM   #3

Yes a moon shot and night time fun.
Old May 10, 2007, 6:16 PM   #4

i dont think there is dedicate BULB mode in XTI. Instead put the dial on M, and decrease the shutter speed to below 30" (30 Seconds..or more than 30 Seconds)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The moment u hit 30 Seconds and continue to turn the dial bulb will start blinking in the LCD.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now the shutter stays open as long as u can press the shutter button. A remote is needed here unless u have really steady hands and enuff patience to hold the camera for like 2mins or 5mins or more

Hope this helps

This one i took with a XT holding the shutter for 7 mins. DOnt ask me how i did it..i just didnt move a bit and i was lucky to get this. Tried my luck with a friends XTi and 12-24 sigma

Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 6:19 PM   #5

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i dont think there is dedicate BULB mode in XTI. Instead put the dial on M, and decrease the shutter speed to below 30" (30 Seconds..or more than 30 Seconds)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The moment u hit 30 Seconds and continue to turn the dial bulb will start blinking in the LCD.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now the shutter stays open as long as u can press the shutter button. A remote is needed here unless u have really steady hands and enuff patience to hold the camera for like 2mins or 5mins or more

Hope this helps

This one i took with a XT holding the shutter for 7 mins. DOnt ask me how i did it..i just didnt move a bit and i was lucky to get this. Tried my luck with a friends XTi and 12-24 sigma

Thank You so much for your help.
Old May 10, 2007, 6:25 PM   #6

Bulb setting is on page 71 of the XTI manual.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 6:29 PM   #7

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:

Hope this helps

How do I decrease shutter speed I'm newb hear me roar LOL. but seriously how do you?
Old May 10, 2007, 7:16 PM   #8

i dont have the xt or the XTi. But if i am right, the AV button or something close to the view finder or one near the right top corner is used for this. Coz the dial will be used to adjust the aperture. Again i could be terribly wrong.

someone with a XT will be really helpful here for u.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 12:36 AM   #9

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i dont have the xt or the XTi. But if i am right, the AV button or something close to the view finder or one near the right top corner is used for this. Coz the dial will be used to adjust the aperture. Again i could be terribly wrong.

someone with a XT will be really helpful here for u.
Why answer questions like these if you don't know? that's lame.
Old May 16, 2007, 1:41 AM   #10
Super Moderator

nymph is simply trying to help you based on her experience of similar cameras in the Canon line up that she owns.

It's equally lame asking a question that is very well covered in the manual.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote