Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 10, 2007, 11:45 PM   #1

I moved to my 20D from my Elan7e and my Eos 3. Which have eyecontrol focus. I miss it on my 20D. has anyone heard rumors of Canon putting eyecontroled focus on a DSLR?

My dream Dslr would be as follows:
12+ Megapixels
Full Frame Sensor with ultrasonic sensor clean.
Eyecontrol Focus
IS0 range of 50-6400
An abundace of focus points
Verticle Grip with Shutter reliease
Cost in the $800-1,000 price range or below!
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2007, 10:23 AM   #2

atleast another 4-6 years.

there is not straight competetion to 5D first. And 5D will not be replaced untill atleast next fall. They will def replace the 30D this year end.

And 1D series hasnt got the eye focus yet. They just released the 1D Mark III. Assuming 18month cycle, i would guess around 2009 to come out with a eye focus on a 1 series. Migrating the eye focus to lower prosumer cameras will take atleast another year from then.

Unless Nikon or other manufacture come out with something groundbreaking like a D200, canon will be more than happy to sell as many cameras as they are doing now with their current arsenal of cameras.

So the most optimistic guess would be atleast 3 years. Thats for introducing eye focus. So imagine how loing it will take to get the above mentioned specs camera for under 1000 bucks.

even 5D would go for more than 1000 at that time.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 12:45 PM   #3

This is something that I'd like too, but on the 1D MkIII (I know, it's already out there... but you see my point.)

I hate locking focus and recomposing, and I hate switching focus points if the situation doesn't let me lock focus (I'm in AI Servo all the time for my wildlife shooting. Moving wildlife makes locking focus hard.)

Unfortunately I have to agree with the 3 year time frame.

I've heard from some people that love the eye control focus on that film camera. And others who said it didn't work well. It's certainly an idea I'd love to try. I would sacrifice... say.... Live View for it. I'll certainly use Live View every now and then, but I'd use eye control focus every single day.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 2:44 PM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
I've heard from some people that love the eye control focus on that film camera. And others who said it didn't work well. It's certainly an idea I'd love to try. I would sacrifice... say.... Live View for it. I'll certainly use Live View every now and then, but I'd use eye control focus every single day.

Eric
I have never had very much trouble. You have to calabarte it to your eye but somepeople skip that step that is mostly where that problem comes from.
Old May 11, 2007, 4:32 PM   #5
Super Moderator

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
there is not straight competetion to 5D first. And 5D will not be replaced untill atleast next fall. They will def replace the 30D this year end.
Where have you got this from?

Matt I think it is going to be a while and although I only had the 50E (not sure what it was called in the US) it was nice for shooting some things, however now I shoot sport and am constantly scanning the frame I would have it off most of the time, although I'm looking seriously at earning extra money by getting into weddings so for that it would be lovely to have again.

As for getting everything else then the price alone is going to be the hardest thing for them to get the camera out for, I can't remember where I was reading it but it was on the cost of the FF sensors and that was huge in comparison to APS-C.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 5:08 PM   #6

mark..thats my guess mate..no idea it would create a fuss..

just the guess. if i am from canon, i wouldnt replace 5D where i dont see a FF competetion..but 30D got hit with the D200 release. So probably i would work on the 40D to win back that level of market..so just my guess...
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 5:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

not a fuss just wondered if you had seen/heard anything as I'm considering a 5D for wedding work with my 30D then as backup and sports work. I do see what you mean about nothing else in FF but also think their 18 month cycle is common so might go for a minor upg on the current model.
Old May 11, 2007, 10:28 PM   #8

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
not a fuss just wondered if you had seen/heard anything as I'm considering a 5D for wedding work with my 30D then as backup and sports work. I do see what you mean about nothing else in FF but also think their 18 month cycle is common so might go for a minor upg on the current model.
I agee about that it would be only a minor upgrade. I just don't understand why Canon hasn't done it yet. We know they have the technology to do it. Raising the cost of the camera..might not necessarially be what is holding it back...because the Elan7e was an affordable pro-sumer film SLR. I know alot of sports and wildlife photographers would like e.c. on thier DSLR...

Yes there is no compatation for it but I think some Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Kodak, etc... might switch to get Eye Control focus.

I think it would be a smart move to include it on a DSLR!

I hope someone from Canon reads forums like this...for considering features for future models.

Old May 12, 2007, 2:45 AM   #9
Super Moderator

It works pretty well on my 50E - which I still have.

But that only has 3 focus points, I think it would be quite hard to be accurate with lots of focus points.

My eye wanders all over the frame when I'm composing a shot. If you have it you can always switch it off, but I'm not sure it's something I'd really want to pay the R&D for in my next purchase though.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:07 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I would not think much R&D was needed as it's been used for a long time in 50E, 5, 3 etc so would probably be quite simple (I'm probably missing something) to get it in a dSLR.

Matthew, why not put a poll up to see how many canon users would like to have it.... always interesting to see.