Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 11, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1

Ok....lets talk about what you think the replacement to the 30D will have or what you want it to have.

How many megapixels?
What features will it have?
Frames Per Second?
ISO limits?
Sensor size?
LCD screen size?
Cost?
AF points?
When will it come out?
Will it still use the CF cards or another mem. card?
Will it have dual card types?
Builtin Wireless capablities?

Here are my thoughts.

How many megapixels? 10.2-11
What features will it have? hoping for addition of eyecontroled focus.
Frames Per Second? 6-7 fps
ISO limits? 50-3200 (6400ISO would be cool)
Sensor size? APC but Full frame would be awesome!
LCD screen size? 2.5 inch
Cost? 1,300 us
When will it come out? Spring 2008
Will it still use the CF cards or another mem. card? CF and SD?
Will it have dual card types? 1 CF slot and 1 SD allowing 2 cards? Like older Olympus DSLRS because SD cards are cheaper and easier to store.
Builtin Wireless capablities? bluetooth transfer?
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2007, 3:54 AM   #2
Super Moderator

My guesses.

* >10Mp because I think they might well have released it by now if they were just going to use the same sensor as the 400D/XTI.

* Anti-dust.

* 5fps

* APS-C

* Digic 3 - ISO3200 probably a bit better than the 30D but no ISO 6400, especially if they push the megapixel count up to >10.

* no bluetooth or wireless - those are add-on modules.

All-in-all not very different from the 30D in the real world.

Features from the 1DMkIII they might introduce if they are trying to build a D200 killer:

* Live-view.
* Focus adjustment for different lenses.
* A bit more weather sealing.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 4:33 AM   #3

same as peripatetic. add to it few points like adjusting ISO through custom function settings instead of going thru menus. May be like use of dial or something.

give option to custom set the direct print button to use it like say mirror lock or something. But use the button for some setting that the user can make use of.

bring in the AF of current 5D, also some improvement on the AF Servo.

AF assist from a dedicated light than the flash itself.

And same shutter as the 5D to reduce noise and keep it a more soft touch.

Use of DIGIC III obviously. May also be Digic IV. who knows

LCD 3inch from mark III.

and mainly ability to adjust ISO wihout taking the eye off the view finder.

mostly the difference between 5D and 30D will be observed in the new 40D and few things from mark III will def be borrowed, like the dust removal and stuff.

Things i dont think happening. Improving fps to 6 or 7. 6 possibilites are there. 7 i doubt it. mainly because all competitors havfe just 5fps at this range. So why make this a big difference.

iso to 6400. Till date the ISO 1600 is cleaner in a canon camera over the competetion. Infact They would use the new digic or new sensor all together to get a cleaner 1600 and 3200 to just upp the ante.

Dual cards. Again cheaper alternative is microdrive. So they may retain the CF slots. May be help prevent the accidental loss of images whne the door is opened accidentally(from MIII Borrow)

My wish list would be,

Auto ISO or ISO Adjustment in the TV, or AV mode. Where instead of warning for wrong shutter speed or Aperture, just adjust the ISO and give the exposure what we are trying to do.

SOme sort of warning when using any ISO greater than 800 on the viewfinder. Like a blinking lighth or something. (greedy)

Anti Shake (greedier)

Blue Tooth or something to help transfer image without the need of any external device or transmitter.

Fire wire instead of USB 2.

Ability to use external harddrive directly with the camera instead of cards. Writing may be slow, but carrying a 8-12 gb pendrive is easier

Little chunkier body. this personally for me to hand hold the longer lenses. The 1D mark II balances the 120-300 so well when comapred to 5D. Again personal choise

No need for Eye focus or Live preview.

some of my greedy needs )
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4

one thing you won't see is I.S. built into the camera.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:44 PM   #5

camerageak wrote:
Quote:
one thing you won't see is I.S. built into the camera.
I agree
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:55 PM   #6
NHL

... Not too sure on this

With Oly the latest to implement in camera IS - Nikon and Canon are now the only two holdout - My bet is Nikon will do it first to keep/expand its(shrinking) market share!
-> It's not IF but When - protecting a small market share in lens while leaving the bigger market share in camera open to attack is the wrong way to go IMO
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 5:21 PM   #7

ifNikon can deliver similar HIGH ISO images as Canon does, i bet Canon would jump to IS before Nikon. Currently as NHL said, Nikon looks to be the one to come out with a IS camera

And if it doesnt impede the IS in the lens and u can get two more stops down i dont see whhy it wont be a better selling point.

Its just a matter of time before canon can invent the technology to read IS correction from lens, and still correct even more from the body. But again thats my personal guess.

I wont mind having a 5D with IS )))
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 6:37 AM   #8
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
I wont mind having a 5D with IS )))
That's the biggest Canon dilemna! :idea:

In-camera IS requires the sensor(1.5x) to move around the film chamber... A full-frame sensor is not only heavier, but the larger area will prevent the sensor from staying within the projected area of the lens inside the now to be enlarged film chamber - Notwitstanding the already poor coverage of corners in lots of FF lenses already!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote