Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 14, 2007, 1:20 PM   #1

Hi,

Can someone tell me what exactly the weather sealing means with respect to dust. I am sure it can with stand a little rainy weather for few seconds. But w\ith respect to dust what exactly is the difference between a 1D body and say 30D or 5D body.

Does the weather sealing provide a big difference in protection against dust as compared to the 5D body.

Coz i have to sell either the 5D or the mark II. My idea of mark II was for weather sealing and the AF. But the image quality of 5D is making it hard to decide coupled with the extreme bokeh i am getting using longer lens's and the noise.

So my major keeping point now with respect to 1D is the weather sealing since i will be in India for around 3-6months. I would mostly be shooting more people and landscape while less birds and animals.

So any idea guys?

Vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2007, 10:49 PM   #2
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Does the weather sealing provide a big difference in protection against dust as compared to the 5D body.
The bigger question is does all your lenses have weather sealing (i.e. not all L lenses have weather seal)? The body needs the lens to be integral to the elements... otherwise dust will get through the lens passages
-> Lenses that have internal zooming and focusing tend to be less problematic as their overall lenght stay the same. Lenses that extend or contract during zooming or focusing are more susceptible to dust as they draw-in or expel the column of air inside the film chamber - The most notorious ones for example is the famed 100-400L which plays like a trumpet... :-)

The problem I found the most annoying is not dust (which you can clean out every night while emptying the flash cards) but the condensation in hot climates - Walking out to the hot humid surroundings from an air condtioned room will force condensation on the lens and viewfinder which are more detrimental than dust and harder to clean or wait it out...

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 11:52 PM   #3

Don't worry about weather sealed cameras, to seal or not to seal is fine, you dont live in a damp area day and night like Jacque Cousteau or the medicine man on the Amazon river, you take pictures and go home to your relatives or hotel. I've been to S. East Asia, the monsoon season is pouring heavy rain rigth now, the heat and humidity is unbearable, after you get out of the shower five min later you sweat again, the rain lessen by Sep and completely off by Oct. The local people there just take pictures with all kind of cameras as usual. Let's worry about thieves, keep an eye on your camera anywhere you go, don't show offyour expensive equipment, keep a low profile.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 6:02 AM   #4
NHL

This is what a weather sealed camera and lens allow one to do while others sit it out (with their gears wrapped up in plastic bag)!

This whole trip was shot in pouring rain:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 1:00 PM   #5

hey NHL,

i do have the 16-35, 24-105. Not sure abt the L primes though. Have the 85mm L but guess its not weather sealed as the newer primes.

135L i thought was weather sealed too, i need to check if it has that rubber rind near the coupling.

The 24-105 stays in the camera forever almost. So combined with the 1D i am sure atleast its dust proofed. Rain is a rare thing in India and even then i may shoot a max of 10 shots in rain.

My concern is only with the dust. And 1D body has a better life than the 5D for sure. I can actually take the 1D and can buy a 5D later if i need it.

damn this 5d, too tuff to decide or let go of it. its like the Lord of the rings, ring.!!

it grows over u

And NHL, was that with ur new babe, 500mm f4. I havfe asked my gf to gift that lens to me. thats the only way i can get that lens and justify it and can also lure her for some caribbean trips

vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 4:05 PM   #6

I am a Pentax user and am currently in my third country photographing everything :lol:

As was mentioned these places are all tropical and humid.

I have found that keeping my camera in a sealedplastic bag when I first bring it out of airconditioned environment like a car or building is the best option. It causes the condensation to form on the bag and not the camera. After 5 mins it is good to go.

Mine is weather sealed and hasn't missed a beat.

Just accept that the weather environment may ultimately kill your camera. Just look at the walls of some of the buildings in thesecountries you will see the mould growing on the them. We are talkingextremes of weather and nothing will survive, given long enough exposure to those elements.

I am 8 months into thistwo year journey and I half expect to have camera bodies and lensesdie from the elements. Luckily so far so good.

Live by the beach and you can expect your car to rust quicker too than someone who lives in land.

Enjoy your trip to India.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote