Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 14, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1

Ok my folks and my sefl were using my camera to take pictures of the new baby my brothers wife had and she and the baby was moving how ever the images turned out way blurry I had it on 100 P with kit lens. What did I do wrong?
Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2007, 12:17 AM   #2

its indoor and the shutter speed is probably less than 1/100 of a second atleast. U need be atleast around 1/300-1/500 to get some good shiots since the subject is always moving......

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 12:19 AM   #3

Very cool so what about 400-800? and I really appreciate it
Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 6:19 AM   #4
NHL

Derek034 wrote:
Quote:
Very cool so what about 400-800? and I really appreciate it
400-800 ISO or shutter speed? :idea:

-> In this situation most people will just pop-up their flash(es) - You're taking a picture of two persons (so you can't shoot wide open because of the DOF). The flash(es) will freeze any movement regardless of how slow the shutter speed is...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 3:40 AM   #5

I returned the Canon rebel xti (400D) twice because I had a problem with sharpness or under-exposure. If you look at sample photos at pbase.com, the photos posted by anyone tell the real story, not the people being paid to tell lies about this camera. Like someone said in one review of this camera, Canon sells more expensive SLRs, if this camera took the same quality of photos as the more expensive ones, then there is no need to spend more money on a more expensive SLR. If you want a good Canon SLR, spend more money on a 30D, not this one. My old point and shoot even took sharper pictures.

I would not have bothered complaining if not for opportunities lost. I was on vacation and regretted having brought the 400D.

I was so frustrated with this problem that I had to buy a Nikon D80 instead, and Im very happy with my Nikon. Now when I zoom someone's face with my Nikon, it always shows great detail, unlike the Canon 400D. And besides the JPEG compression algorithm compresses the 10 megapixel photo at full sharpness setting to about 1.5 megabytes average on the 400D, but about 4 megabytes average on the Nikon D80, so this is also one thing that tells the real story.

If you bought the camera from costco within 90 days, so you could still return it.
rpa4512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:40 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I think it's probably true that Nikon is better at making idiot-proof cameras. :roll:

99.9% of "problems" with cameras are user error.

To the OP, post some shots (with EXIF) and maybe we can help.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:52 AM   #7
Super Moderator

rpa welcome to the forum and it sounds like you had a bad experience with your cameras but a lot of guys here like the results of theirs and I have a couple of friends with them and they are not having issues.

Taking a look at some of the sample shots from here and dpreview then there quality is looking good. As for the compression I would say you didn't have yours in the highest quality jpg as most of the shots I'm seeing are over 3mb, and in general Canon does have a jpg algorithm which is good at reducing size while maintaining quality.

The good thing is though that you are happy with and hope to see more posts from you here.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote