Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 22, 2007, 1:55 PM   #1

Hi,

My 400d arrived this morning - hooray - and I've been playing with all the features with some interesting results.

One query though. It was a really bright day today, but on auto setting both in the garden (bright sunshine) and inside (a lot darker) it stayed at ISO400 - does this sound right?:? Or should I get it checked out?

Many thanks in advance

Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 3:06 PM   #2

I don't believe the auto setting adjusts the ISO. I believe the ISO is fixed and it only adjusts the shutter and aperture.

So what you describe seems right to me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 7:32 PM   #3

Your camera is fine. In Auto mode the meter is easily fooled by a brigth or dark subject and also some tricky mixed lightings, especially backlit scenes, sidelight. It takes time to know the new camera, I had it for many months but still haven't tested all the features yet, I'm only half way done. Auto mode is for emergency shots such as when you see a hit and run accident you don't have time to set the camera, just turn to Auto and take aquick shot, a lousy neighbour walks his dog over to your lawn...Here is a quick test you can do, go inside your house, turn camera in Auto mode, turn the flash on and aim at something about 10 feet away on the wall such as a calendar, a bookcase and take some shots, your pictures will be exposed evenly. Learn how to set the camera in Manual mode and practice, when you understand how the camera sees things differently from what you see, you'll enjoy to shoot in manual mode feeling you're in control. First, go thru the manual many times to learn all the functions of the camera. Take some pictures of flowers or landscapes and share with us.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:07 AM   #4

Beejygirl wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

My 400d arrived this morning - hooray - and I've been playing with all the features with some interesting results.

One query though. It was a really bright day today, but on auto setting both in the garden (bright sunshine) and inside (a lot darker) it stayed at ISO400 - does this sound right?:? Or should I get it checked out?

Many thanks in advance

Eric is right. the Auto setting does not adjust the ISO. Therefore you need to take that into account when you are shooting inside and out. Av is a very good setting to play with. if you set the av to F8 it should pic up just about anything well. Just keep playing with it and you will work out the best settings.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Av is what I mainly shoot in however if you want to let the camera do most of the work and then play around slightly you can start with P mode; and everyone is right about ISO.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 2:25 PM   #6
NHL

Actually Beejygirl didn't say which mode she was in, but when in the Basic Zone modes, the camera does adjust the ISO automatically...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:54 PM   #7

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Actually Beejygirl didn't say which mode she was in, but when in the Basic Zone modes, the camera does adjust the ISO automatically...
not sure what you mean by basic zone, I was just going on the auto of my 300D, I tested it out and it does not change the ISO, either that or the ISO it picked just happened to be the same as the ISO I picked to test it which is probably the case. I gatheredshe was in auto, Duh dumb me:-)
Old May 29, 2007, 10:27 PM   #8
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
not sure what you mean by basic zone, I was just going on the auto of my 300D, I tested it out and it does not change the ISO, either that or the ISO it picked just happened to be the same as the ISO I picked to test it which is probably the case. I gatheredshe was in auto, Duh dumb me:-)
Basic Zone modes are:
o Auto (green rectangle)
o Portrait
o Landscape
o Close-uo
o Sports
o Night Portrait
o Flash Off
---> In the above modes the camera will slide the ISO settings (i.e. Auto ISO) to preserve the desired function

The Creative Zone modes are:
o Program
o Tv
o Av
o M
o A-Depht
--> The ISO will stay fix here per the user (i.e. manual ISO) - see page 158 of 400D's manual
Old May 29, 2007, 11:33 PM   #9

NHL wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Basic Zone modes are:
o Auto (green rectangle)
o Portrait
o Landscape
o Close-uo
o Sports
o Night Portrait
o Flash Off
---> In the above modes the camera will slide the ISO settings (i.e. Auto ISO) to preserve the desired function

The Creative Zone modes are:
o Program
o Tv
o Av
o M
o A-Depht
--> The ISO will stay fix here per the user (i.e. manual ISO) - see page 158 of 400D's manual
yeah i think i made a mistake when I tested the auto on my 300D (Im guessing the system is pretty much the same in the XTI) I believe it had slipped of the auto notch and was in something else, so yes it will change the ISO. Those basic zone are what ive always called the auto zone LOL
Old May 30, 2007, 10:41 AM   #10
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
yeah i think i made a mistake when I tested the auto on my 300D (Im guessing the system is pretty much the same in the XTI)...
It does the same on all cameras (i.e. your 30D, as well as the 10D/20D)
-> The camera is on auto ISO in the Basic Zone (what you called the "Auto" Zone) :-)

BTW - Even on the 5D, the ISO is sliding automatically in the Full-Auto mode (green rectangle)