Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 24, 2007, 5:58 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

Is it just my techniqueor is there something wrong with settings or my kit? I get a lot of under exposed shots when using flash. I use Canon 30D with 580EX and the main lens of choice is the Sigma 17-70mm, a general setting would be M 1/60th f5.6 and ISO 400 so the flash is not working at it's max allowing multiple shots in quick succession.

Here is a typical example..... any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2007, 6:09 AM   #2
NHL

If you did't crop the picture, the camera is evaluating the whole scene and the majority of the image are brighter than neutral grey (the man shirt, metallic reflectionunder the piano, table cloth etc..)

-> I've found that FEL (*) work best for me on the person face, the camera will do a Flash Exposure Lock on the person skin tone (around the center AF point) instead of evaluating the whole scene which is not really what you want

This is why the Canon flash is so problematic (and you already have the best of Canon's flash) that sometime using an old Metz flash with a photoeye sensor on automatic produce better and more consistent results

Most people will use +/- exposure compensation, but that's because they already have taken a shot and know which direction to dial-in... In my case I have more overexposure than underexposure because my subjects are usually darker (birds for example) and the camera compensate by putting out a higher intensity flash burst!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 6:13 AM   #3
Super Moderator

You are right..... that was me not thinking about the whole shot. When using FEL do you switch to spot metering?

I want to nail this before a friends wedding in Aug which is why I'm sorting everything now.
Old May 24, 2007, 6:22 AM   #4
NHL

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
You are right..... that was me not thinking about the whole shot. When using FEL do you switch to spot metering?
No - It's all automatic
-> The camera will switch to center weight in FEL

Yeap, wedding is the most problematic alternating between bright white bride and Penguin dark groom... I usually pull-out my old dual-head Metz (with no E-TTL) and just be worry free for theses occasions :G

-> Outdoors are when the 580EX becomes more handy when one tries to balance both daylight and flash automatically
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 6:28 AM   #5
Super Moderator

It's alright for some!!!! Thanks for the info, as you can see flash portraitphotography is not my forte but I will learn.

Thanks a lot for the assistance.
Old May 24, 2007, 2:28 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Hi Mark,

I have a question - where was the flash pointed?

I have found, as long as the room is not too big that putting a diffuser on and pointing the flash back over my head at 45 degrees, i.e. in precisely the opposite direction of the person you are photographing diffuses the light from the top and back of the room and the metering works very well then.

Of course this is dependant on having a small enough room that the flash will have no trouble lighting it. And does impact recycle times of course.

But the results are pretty good (and I know very little about flash).

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 2:31 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Just for reference the next shot had the same settings but the flash hadn't recycled yet.

Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 4:40 PM   #8
Super Moderator

I would bounce where possible but in that room the ceiling was mainly back so in most places I used direct. Also for some reason the stofen was not in the bag either.

I've never bounced behind me so will give that a bash as well.