Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 26, 2007, 4:33 PM   #11
Super Moderator

What on earth are you talking about?

Some people prefer a very light and small body, others don't. I don't. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying it's a preference.

I find it easier to hold a slightly heaver camera steady, and prefer the balance, particularly with a slightly heavier lens.

You may feel differently. Neither of us is wrong, that's what "preference" means.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:13 PM   #12

It is only my personal opinion, however, in view of the ongoing "Under Exposure" problem, a very difficult problem/situation with the Canon XTi/400D which continues to be anONGOING problem of significant magnitudethat has not yet REALLY BEEN SOLVED, by even by Canon-Japan, it israther clear that your BETTER choice would be the Canon 30D in place of the Canon XTi/400D. Personally, I would stand well clear of the Canon XTi/400D camera. It may indeed be a lot more hassle than you really desire. It has already disrupted a lot of lives, who are at this minute attempting to make their way through the confusion that is broadly known as "Canon Customer Service System.

The unfortunate thing is that the various Customer Service CentersCANNOT agree on EXACTLY what is the appropiate "fix" for this problem. Do you want to be WITHOUT your Canon XTi for SEVERAL months? Just send it to a Canon Customer Service Center with an "Under Exposure problem." Yes, you have it right, they are all sort of scratching their heads. I would steer clear of that hassle and enjoy taking some really interesting photos with my 30D. as I sain this is just my personal opinion, but the "Under Exposure" problem is very well documented over on http://www.dpreview.com. It has also been mentioned on this forum as well.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 9:32 AM   #13

I purchased my 30D a few weeks before the XTI was released and at first was a little disappointed about the mega-pixel difference. Then a friend of mine got the XTI (her first DSLR as it is an entry level DSLR) and i got to have a play with hers. First impressions were that i had a toy in my hands. Way too light for me. I photograph mainly handheld and take a lot of wildlife shots so the heavier the better as it always seems easier to steady a heavier camera. When i put one of my bigger lenses on the XTI it seemed even more silly but then it has no grip on so Im not sure if that would have helped. The XTI could not match my 30D for shutter speed at all, I now shoot RAW and even with that the 30D excels. The XTI is fine for my friend as she has tiny hands but her husband hates the camera and prefers to use a bigger one. The mega-pixels mean very little at alland Im just glad that i did end up with the 30D, all round a much better camera
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:13 AM   #14

mtclimber, so the XTI has underexposure problem, whatdoesyour camera has? under, over, spot on meter? Prove with a few thousand pictures of your camera here.:-):-):-)I know you can't.

aladyforty, the XTI is too light for you, the shutter is no match for your 30D, prove it with thousand of pictures to show that you can handle big camera big lens from sunrise to sunset out there, dont just stick a few pics here it doesn't mean anything. Oh, btw what kind of filters you can use on those big lenses, the diameter is larger than small lenses, large size filters cost more than small size.

The XTI with carefully selected lenses cost much less than the 30D, an experienced photographer can make moneyquicker than the 30D with big expensive lenses, when you sell your pictues it'll thousands of years to offset the cost you spend on your system while thephotographer with the 10MP XTI dont even have to shoot RAW with all kind of filters he can lay his hands on and make money on the picturesquickerand see the 30D with huge lensestake a long walk out there under 100 degree and laugh off. Btw, the XTIblast awayanything that is moving out there dead or alive. :-):-):-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:38 AM   #15

coldshot wrote:
Quote:

aladyforty, the XTI is too light for you, the shutter is no match for your 30D, prove it with thousand of pictures to show that you can handle big camera big lens from sunrise to sunset out there, don't just stick a few pics here it doesn't mean anything. Oh, btw what kind of filters you can use on those big lenses, the diameter is larger than small lenses, large size filters cost more than small size.

The XTI with carefully selected lenses cost much less than the 30D, an experienced photographer can make moneyquicker than the 30D with big expensive lenses, when you sell your pictues it'll thousands of years to offset the cost you spend on your system while thephotographer with the 10MP XTI don't even have to shoot RAW with all kind of filters he can lay his hands on and make money on the picturesquickerand see the 30D with huge lensestake a long walk out there under 100 degree and laugh off. Btw, the XTIblast awayanything that is moving out there dead or alive. :-):-):-)
I don't see the point of posting thousands of pictures to prove that I can handle a big camera from dawn to dusk. As a matter of fact i have handled the 30D and a big lens for hours on end. I have nothing to prove, I just was saying from my experience that the 30D is a better camera. as for filters, i don't bother, i use photo-shop. And as for expensive lenses, yes im willing to pay for quality and alllarge lenses are not necessarily more expensive than small. You need to research lenses a little more and you would know that there are some very expensive smaller lenses all worth their weight in gold. Most pros use these lenses.

If you are happy with cheap lenses and cameras, good for you but most pros would not touch them, the 30D is OK for what i needbut i would not even class it in the pro class of cameras, not in a million years and the XTI is an entry level DSLR. you appear to know very little sir:roll:

Old May 27, 2007, 12:12 PM   #16

I come from the same point of view as voiced by a ladyforty-

If the Canon XTi works well for you, that is great. Congratulations! I had the very same opinion as aladyforty, when I handled the XTi. I also examined a used Canon 20D and the XTi right next to each other. Both were very nearly the same price. IMO, after handling both cameras side by side, at least for me, the used Canon 20D seemed to be a much better "fit" for my style of shooting. So I purchased the used Canon 20D.

I am not saying that the Canon XTi is a bad or inferior DSLR camera at all! I am just saying that for me, I am a happier camper with my 20D. I get the photos that I want, I like the camera a lot, and in the final analysis, that is the kind of "fit" that is very important, when choosing a camera. It is a personal kind of choice.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:36 PM   #17

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
coldshot wrote:

If you are happy with cheap lenses and cameras, good for you but most pros would not touch them, the 30D is OK for what i needbut i would not even class it in the pro class of cameras, not in a million years and the XTI is an entry level DSLR. you appear to know very little sir:roll:

You don't have any pictures to prove that the 30D is better than the XTI, you don't have any pictures to prove that you handle the camera for hours on the field, you are afraid that your expensive lenses can't match that of cheap lenses, and you don't know that I sit behind the photo lab monitor I can see the 30D with expensive lenses you own and most pro as you claim look like.:-):-):-)You dont see pros with all kind of expensive gear close up their studios because they can't sell ice cubes to an eskimo.:-):-):-)You use photoshop because you don't know a picture with filters are difference than ps effects and filters are costly for your pro lenses.:-):-):-)And you know that you need to shoot Raw the sensor of the 30D can't give you the color you want after spending a fortune on pro gear:-):-):-)You don't even know how to test the camera shutter as claim the shutter of the XTI is worse than the 30D, you need help to test the shutter let me know.:-):-):-)
Old May 27, 2007, 11:23 PM   #18

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
coldshot wrote:

You don't have any pictures to prove that the 30D is better than the XTI, you don't have any pictures to prove that you handle the camera for hours on the field, you are afraid that your expensive lenses can't match that of cheap lenses, and you don't know that I sit behind the photo lab monitor I can see the 30D with expensive lenses you own and most pro as you claim look like.:-):-):-)You don't see pros with all kind of expensive gear close up their studios because they can't sell ice cubes to an eskimo.:-):-):-)You use photo-shop because you don't know a picture with filters are difference than ps effects and filters are costly for your pro lenses.:-):-):-)And you know that you need to shoot Raw the sensor of the 30D can't give you the color you want after spending a fortune on pro gear:-):-):-)You don't even know how to test the camera shutter as claim the shutter of the XTI is worse than the 30D, you need help to test the shutter let me know.:-):-):-)
I admit I don't have any comparison photos, only going by what i have seen. XTI with a good lens will produce as good a photo as the 30D.

I do not have many really good lenses however i can pick the difference with ease

the 30D can produce very good shots with a medium range lens, this is one one i took with a 100-300 usm lens. Not the cheapest you can buy though. with the usm and the 30Ds speed you can produce reasonable photos like this handheld. the shot had to be stopped down however and was shot at the mid range of the lens where it is at its sharpest and also needed a fair amount of post processing

with an L lens, this shot had hardly neededany PS work, is very contrasty, can get these images wide open and at the long end. thats why people pay the extra money

This shot has quite a crop and I also used a 1X4 TC. Still comes up sharp. I could never achieve this with a cheap lens

as for filters, i have been doing photography for 30 plus years and had the whole set up with an slr and filters etc and yes, i do know what can be achieved with them and yes, sometimes i do still use them. however now days you can achieve the same in photo-shop so why not?

You said "You don't see pros with all kind of expensive gear close up their studios because they can't sell ice cubes to an eskimo"

Um well yes you do, i have a couple of pro friends that have some pretty expensive gear and yes, it makes a huge difference that they have the top of the line cameras, far superior to mine and If i won a lottery, i would buy one.

There is a reason why a good photographer uses a good camera and lenses. if you have not worked it out you need to just take a look at some pro sites online. Have a look into the Fred Miranda site and look through the wildlife shots, the best shots come from skilled photographers with the better quality lenses.:roll:

Old May 27, 2007, 11:44 PM   #19

I just did a browse of all your posts, most seem to be about you backing your choice of camera. No problem, you think your camera is great. If you like the features of the XTI, thats fine. I prefer the speed of the 30D and the robust body as i spend a lot of time in bush area etc. i previouslyused the 300D and it had the plastic body as well. Was a great starter camera for me and a nice size, still gets used as a backup. The bottom line in the end is not the camera body for most amateur photographers. Its all about the lenses, you build a set of the better lenses, you end up with better images. in time you upgrade your camera body.

i noticed your photos in this thread are soft and not all that contrasty, i gather its a cheap lens

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...730503#p730503

speaks for itself

feel free to match theL lens shots with your cheap lenses:-)

Old May 28, 2007, 1:10 AM   #20

Soft and contrast pictures can be adjusted in sofware, now you show that you spend endless nights to produce those so called constratry shots.:-)Btw how much all that gear to produce a few shots like that?:-)What cheap lenses on my pictures you can differentiate, which one is which?:-)I bet you used the 30D bust mode to shoot like a video cam to get those shots, mine are one shot one kill.:-)Those birds, you think are good shots? My shots were done with plenty of mixed ligthing, backlight, sideligth, up/down light you name it.:-)Btw, I don't have to do those pictures to back my camera, I showed to you that how easy I can shoot endlessof pictures like those and adjust in my Mickey Mouse free Canon scanner in just a few click no need any fancy sofware, try that with your lenses and the 30D sensor I hope you can produce ten times better pictures than mine to macth the amount of money you spent if not a few times better is a great improvement.:-):-):-)