Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 28, 2007, 10:09 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 734
Default

Ollie77, this is photo website, you want to read good English you should have the IQ to go to English forum.:-):-):-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:21 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Ollie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 358
Default

By all means I might very well just do that. However in the mean time I would really love to look at your professional shots. As already mentioned and asked for. Of course if you feel that you are that far beyond our abilities, then perhaps it is you that needs to take a hike and head to where the pastures are greener and the women fall at your feet with buckets of milk.

Oh gee darn it there I go, writing poetic tragedy and daft comments. Back to the photography side of things before I get too carried away, a link please if you will sir??

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:32 AM   #33
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

so, back to the original question:

Image quality will be comparable with both. As others have mentioned, the 30D has the benefit of: ISO 3200, 1/8000, spot metering, 5fps vs 3 and better build quality. The 400D has anti-dust features and slightly better MP.

As also mentioned - the ergonomics are quite different. Some people prefer one over the other. But they are definitely different. If you handle both cameras, it's likely you'll prefer one over the other. Don't discount this aspect as it's very important. Give both cameras a try in a store and see which feels better to you.

Both are excellent cameras so you can't go wrong with either.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:37 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
aladyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,964
Default

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
so, back to the original question:

Image quality will be comparable with both. As others have mentioned, the 30D has the benefit of: ISO 3200, 1/8000, spot metering, 5fps vs 3 and better build quality. The 400D has anti-dust features and slightly better MP.

As also mentioned - the ergonomics are quite different. Some people prefer one over the other. But they are definitely different. If you handle both cameras, it's likely you'll prefer one over the other. Don't discount this aspect as it's very important. Give both cameras a try in a store and see which feels better to you.

Both are excellent cameras so you can't go wrong with either.
Have to say that i find the ISO 3200 totally useless on my 30D, i never use it although I guess its nice to know it is there. as for the XTI, Ive been trying to talk a friend into getting one. They need to upgrade to a DSLR and for the money I think it is the way to go. My advice was to get the grip, the husband may find it way too small for his hands. They dont have to get a canon. Anyone got any other suggestions for a first DsLR for them???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:53 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Ollie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 358
Default

Dare I say Nikon....yup I dare.

I wouldn't suggest the the D40x but if you can go the $1500 mark or so get a D80. Really nice feel in the hands nicely made too. Good weight to it and has the MP as well.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:59 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
aladyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,964
Default

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
Dare I say Nikon....yup I dare.

I wouldn't suggest the the D40x but if you can go the $1500 mark or so get a D80. Really nice feel in the hands nicely made too. Good weight to it and has the MP as well.

Ollie
I know its a canon forum but these people are open to suggestions (I would go with a Canon of course:-))

They dont need a 30D. They just need a good starter camera, he is going to work on the lenses as he goes. As they have nothing yet it does not matter which brand. I was thinking of pentax like KDs


aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:33 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 734
Default

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
By all means I might very well just do that. However in the mean time I would really love to look at your professional shots. As already mentioned and asked for. Ollie
The answer is no, I post the pictures when I want to share with friends here in this forum, I don't post to satisfy any challenge. I asked that same question to other posters to prove what they said, none post anything, they are carefull posters and photographers, if their skill is not at my level now, someday they will be better than mine, I don't need to see their pictures.You don't get tricked into posting any shot to prove anything.

Back to the OP,you can see my first post was subjectiveabout thetwo cameras no more no less, then things turned upside down when posters jumped in with all kind of how good their camera over the other. Let's take another case, JohnG, heis using the 30D, I expect him to say all the wonderful stuff aboutthat camera, but to my surprise he listed the differences between thetwo subjectively, that's one of a true photographersI don't need to see his pictures to prove anything. Photography has many facets, sometimes what you see is not real and what you don't see is real.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:42 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
aladyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,964
Default

:lol::roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:57 AM   #39
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
Let's take another case, JohnG, heis using the 30D
Thanks for the complement but actually I don't use either the 30d or the 400d so I'm completely unbiased

Aladyforty,

as to ISO 3200 - I would prefer not to use it myself. But seeing as I shoot a lot of sports, sometimes it's a necessary evil. Next to the 5d, it's the cleanest ISO 3200 of any camera on the market (although the new 1d mk III is supposed to be better but it's just started shipping last week so we'll have to wait and see). Prime lenses are only so long and sometimes flash is not allowed.


JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 6:45 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
dr_spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 879
Default

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
JohnG wrote:
Quote:
so, back to the original question:

Image quality will be comparable with both. As others have mentioned, the 30D has the benefit of: ISO 3200, 1/8000, spot metering, 5fps vs 3 and better build quality. The 400D has anti-dust features and slightly better MP.

As also mentioned - the ergonomics are quite different. Some people prefer one over the other. But they are definitely different. If you handle both cameras, it's likely you'll prefer one over the other. Don't discount this aspect as it's very important. Give both cameras a try in a store and see which feels better to you.

Both are excellent cameras so you can't go wrong with either.
Have to say that i find the ISO 3200 totally useless on my 30D, i never use it although I guess its nice to know it is there. as for the XTI, Ive been trying to talk a friend into getting one. They need to upgrade to a DSLR and for the money I think it is the way to go. My advice was to get the grip, the husband may find it way too small for his hands. They dont have to get a canon. Anyone got any other suggestions for a first DsLR for them???
If they get a Canon, they might be borrowing lenses from you.


dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:17 PM.