Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 28, 2007, 7:02 PM   #41

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
JohnG wrote:
Quote:
so, back to the original question:

Image quality will be comparable with both. As others have mentioned, the 30D has the benefit of: ISO 3200, 1/8000, spot metering, 5fps vs 3 and better build quality. The 400D has anti-dust features and slightly better MP.

As also mentioned - the ergonomics are quite different. Some people prefer one over the other. But they are definitely different. If you handle both cameras, it's likely you'll prefer one over the other. Don't discount this aspect as it's very important. Give both cameras a try in a store and see which feels better to you.

Both are excellent cameras so you can't go wrong with either.
Have to say that i find the ISO 3200 totally useless on my 30D, i never use it although I guess its nice to know it is there. as for the XTI, Ive been trying to talk a friend into getting one. They need to upgrade to a DSLR and for the money I think it is the way to go. My advice was to get the grip, the husband may find it way too small for his hands. They dont have to get a canon. Anyone got any other suggestions for a first DsLR for them???
If they get a Canon, they might be borrowing lenses from you.

No, NO NO. No-one uses my camera or lensesapart from me and that even includes my husband:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 7:25 PM   #42

As to the original topic. There are some things the XTI just does not have. Apart from the speed of the 30D and the better body construction, The one thing I can't live without is the wheel on the back of the 30D. I had the 300D before I upgraded and since using the 30D I find the 300D dials etc a trial. The XTI looks to have the same setup. With the wheel allowing user to view the photos in quick succession while zoomed in to any area of the photo, it really makes quick checking of continuous shots a breeze. The other way, you had to zoom back out and click to the next shot. With the wheel you can zip though the images so fast. I now can't believe I lived without it. Other controls can also be accessed though the wheel. And being able to see all your settings through the view finder and the ISO in increments is wonderful. I'm not sure if the XTI has those features or not. As for holding the 30D vertically its as easy as any other camera on the market.

I think the speed of the 30D and the wheel won me over (not to forget my preference of the size) I did an event last year and took over 1000 photos in an hour, the speed that I could shoot the event and view the shots to check settings via that wheel was amazing after having used the 300D. I'm sure the higher end models have all this in even better form. Have to say it is one reason why I could not go back to any camera less than the 30D
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote