Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 25, 2007, 6:45 AM   #1

What are the major performance differences in these camera's. I am looking into a 2nd camera and not sure what model to go with.
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 1:13 PM   #2

If you have enough money, is there a choice at all, I wonder?
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 1:51 PM   #3

Thats what I want to know. I have read that much of the xti was built off of the 30D, thats why I am wondering where the 30D beats out the rebel. I have not had a chance that to use either one more than for a few minuts instore.
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 5:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator

What sort of shooting do you do andwhat is your first camera?

30D has faster AF, spot metering, faster continuous shooting, easier control over settings to name a few.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5
NHL

Also different sensor right?
10.5(XTi) vs 8.5(30D) Mpixels
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 5:55 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Yep, decided not to mention that as it is known by most :blah:but worth mentioning. That I would say is the only negative of the 30 over the 400.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 6:52 PM   #7

The XTI has brand new 10MP CMOS sensor anti static coated, compact size for less noticeable unconventional photography and much suitable for long walk or hiking outdoor photography, no top LCD to expose in direct sunlight, same AF of the 30D. The battery grip is much more comfortable to shoot any which way left right up or down. The 30D has 5fps, 250 flash syn, spot meter, flash sockect for higher price difference. The pictures of the XTI, depends on who's behind it.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 2:30 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Very little to choose between them in image quality.

Build quality is very different.

To me the biggest difference is how they feel in your hands. And you have to find your own level in that.

To me the 1 series are just a bit too big and bulky. The 5D is just right. The 30D is a little small. And the XTI feels like a plastic toy. With the grip it feels like a plastic toy with a grip. Grips are available for 5D & 30D too.

Happily I am now just where I want to be with the 5D, I was happy enough with the 20D, but could never live with the Rebels.

How the camera feels when you hold it, shoot, carry it around all day, is an important part of the enjoyment of photography.

Of course some people feel that the smaller and lighter the better. For them clearly the Rebels are better. Cheaper body - same image quality. No brainer.

There are also ergonomic differences in where and how settings can be changed between the different bodies. Once again personal preference plays a role in this. I prefer a top LCD and I don't think the XTI has one. Others aren't bothered or think the back LCD is better.

Go spend a half-hour playing with them in the shop. You'll know which one to get.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 5:54 AM   #9
NHL

ST77 wrote:
Quote:
... I have read that much of the xti was built off of the 30D, thats why I am wondering where the 30D beats out the rebel...
The 30D's battery is of the standardize BP-51x series uses on almost all Canon dSLRs as opposed to the XTi which is unique to this camera

The 30D shutter goes to 1/8000s vs the XTi 1/4000s, but the most critical things and quite important to some folks is the 30D's ISO can be expanded to 3200 vs only 1600 for the XTi

Also I believe all the Rebels have the penta-mirror viewfinder setup vs the brighter prism of the 30D -> the point is one camera is not built off the other, but it's two different cameras altogether especially when it relates to the body: One is metal, the other is plastic.

PS: The XTi does have the auto dust removal of newer cameras which is quite nice
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 9:46 AM   #10

Plastic camera is now a new trend as oppose to metal, polymer...technologies classes are offered in few colleges around the country, it's a tough class to pass, polymer engineers have no problem finding high paid job.Hollywood film crews complain about heavy power distribution boxes, they are asking manufacturing companies toswitch to plastic substance which iscostlier than metal chasis. The new pro Canon MrkIII series is designedto reduce weighton that technology. The new 40Dwill besomewhere in between the XTI and the MrkIII.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote