Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 27, 2007, 7:03 PM   #1

Hey Folks,

I am thinking about getting a Canon EOS 400D.
Do you think Canon will launch a new model that replaces the 400D soon (like in Oktober this year)
What puts me off the most is that the 400D is equiped with the DIGIC II processor, while all the new models have the DIGIC III !!

What are the main differences ?? Is it worth waiting for the DIGIC III ??
What other major new features do you expect for that model line ??

thx
sisiphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2

55 views an still no answer ...!:roll:

:?
sisiphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 3:01 PM   #3

No one can answer your question.

Why wait? Always something will be new and supposedly better. The XTi/400D is a proven performer. How much better must a camera be for you decide it is worth a purchase?

You will never know until you start.

Buy a camera with a kit lens and it may be all you ever need.

Again no one can answer what the DIGIC III will be like for the replacement to the XTi/400D, only speculate or go by what information has been put out by Canon themself.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 9:15 AM   #4

Consider what you will miss in terms of technology, and then condsider what you will miss in memories (Time waits for no one.) and go from there.

Or to think of it another way: I can assure you that if you buy now you will find some regret about your purchase when you see what the current feature sets are with new whiz-bang technology. How much regret will you feel with the new technology when you consider the moments in time you missed?
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:22 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I hear they've started development on the Digic 5 chip. Should be due to debut in around 2012.

I think you should wait for that one.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:48 PM   #6

^^

:G:G:G

And u forgot about the 16MP 50FPS Full frame camera for 600 dollars in 2018. Heard it will have vignetting issue

On a serious note, there are people here who are still waiting for the 5D replacement and missing on what the 5D offers for the current market price of 1600(used). This is a steal of a camera. I paid over 2k and i felt i paid less then and still cant find a reason to sell it.

If u think the camera suits ur specs,buy it now before u let the next upgrade eat ur wait time.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:09 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I stupidly waited for a while for the 5D replacement.

I had enough in my photography fund in October 2006, but I thought there might be a replacement announced in Jan/Feb 2007.

Of course there wasn't so I ended up buying in Feb 2007 - and missed out on using it for 4 months where I took a lot of photos with my 20D in that period quite a few of which would have benefitted from the extra resolution of the 5D and 24-105L.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 10:02 AM   #8

absolutely true..if i keep waiting for updates i would miss shots like this one 5d at 17mm...
Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:45 AM   #9

great shot!

Look, it's one thing to wait once a camera has been announced and you're waiting for it to show up. I.E. those that were looking at a Canon 40d and then the Nikon D300 was announced. I can understand waiting then. But waiting on a 'rumored' announcement never makes a lot of sense to me.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote