Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 29, 2007, 6:45 PM   #1

Well after reading thu my last post I have decided to go with the 30D, as I already have a entry level DSLR in my E500. I was looking at the kit on B&H with Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens.

I was wondering what opinions on this lens are it has the reach I would need it for just wondering about how it performs.

What is battery life like on the 30D and should I get the vertical grip for it?
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 9:17 PM   #2

I am probably not telling anything you do not know.... Edited post below for for better Accuracy

I think if your going to spend $1200 on the body you might want to buy a different and perhaps better lens/es....

Tamron 17-50 ($420) is best in its price range comparing favorably with the Canon 2.8 17-55 and 17-40L that cost several times as much.

The 30D is still a 1.6 crop Camera so 17mm gets you 28mm Wide to 50mm around 80mm.

Buying a lens that starts @ 28mm is more like a 45mm lens and may not be wide enough to even frame groups of people well, sometimes you can not back any further away with out running into a wall.

For some some even a lens that starts at more like 24mm will be just wide enough.

Speed Counts for a Lens and a lens that is as fast as 2.8 through out its zoom range really makes more things possible.

You know you can add a vertical grip to a Rebel XTi too. If you really after the 30D do not be suprised if a 40D comes out in the next few months.

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 11:43 PM   #3

ST77 wrote:
Quote:
Well after reading thu my last post I have decided to go with the 30D, as I already have a entry level DSLR in my E500. I was looking at the kit on B&H with Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Lens.

I was wondering what opinions on this lens are it has the reach I would need it for just wondering about how it performs.

What is battery life like on the 30D and should I get the vertical grip for it?
I would go with a 17-85 IS because it is a 28-135 IS on a crop body, This would also depend on how much you like the wider angle style of photography. But if you cant get it Im sure that lens would be fine. Both have IS which is good. Ive never used the 28-135 so cant really give a fair opinion on it.

I would not worry about waiting on the 40D, you can keep doing this and never upgrade.

The 30D is a very good camera. iTs naturally quite a bit more expensive than the 400D, but with that you get added functions, a larger viewfinder and better built. The XTi has two megapixels more than the 30D, but the difference is really minute when you're talking about prints. I've even read elsewhere that the image quality of the 30D is arguably better and less noisy because they're squeezing less pixels onto a sensor but dont take that as gospel, Im only going on what Ive read.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 11:49 PM   #4

Oh and the battery life on the 30D is very good, I have two batterys but only use one in the grip at a time, I carry the second one charged. I get over 1000 shots from a battery, cant say exactly how many though:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 4:23 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I would def go for a wider lens, 17mm is the place to be with a crop camera and you can work out what length you want it to go.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I agree about not waiting for a camera as there has been speculation for ages. There is a chance (quite a good one)that Canon will announce a 40D in Sept but they also announce the 1DMkIII in Feb and it is still not in the shops so realistically you are looking at Dec (just in time for Christmas). It's like all technology, there is always something just around the corner and you can always wait for the next best thing. I was in the same boat as I just bought a Canon 5D which will probably get replaced the same time as the 30D.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 7:16 AM   #6

ST77,

My First DSLR was the 350D/XT and my wife and I both love using it. After a year of "fighting" over who gets to use it:G, we purchased the 30D for Me. (The Xt just fits her hands better).

Hands down the build quality on the 30D feels much stronger. I am using a Sigma DC 17-70 2.8/4.5. as my walk around lens and am very happy with the quality of the images with it.

As for battery life, I have a spare and have not yet had to switch to it!!!

Good choice with the 30D Enjoy it

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies, 30D is what I am going with as I want a camera that is a step or 2 above what I have right now. I am still looking into lens though the 28-135 does look like it will suit many of my needs.
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:20 AM   #8
Super Moderator

The question I would ask is can you survive with 28mm at the wide end. This is the same as about 23mm on your olympus so have a play with your camera at that setting as the widest and work out if it will be OK for you.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:16 AM   #9

I'm going to go against the grain here :blah:

I use the 28-135 as my walk-around lens and I'm very satisfied with it. The quality is just fine and for me it covers a very useful range.

So, quality wise - it is absolutely a great lens (for what it is - it's variable aperture and not a low-light or action shot lens).

The only question is - to otther peoples' point - what focal length is right for YOU (you, not me and not them). In general I shoot more close up than wide angle, so the 135mm was very beneficial in a walk-around lens. I have a 17-40 for those instances where I want to go wider. For my style of photography, having only 75-85mm on the long end wouldn't work very well. For others, the exact opposite is true.

So the idea is to match your walk-around lens to YOUR style of shooting - what are you going to need 75% of the time for your style of photography? That should be the driving force.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:25 AM   #10
Super Moderator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to go against the grain here :blah:
There's always one LOL, but John is right you need to get a lens that fits what you want.