Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:11 AM   #1
Super Moderator

It is much lamented in certain quarters that Canon has not seen fit to put a mirror lock-up button on their cameras, particularly the FF ones.

And yet with the 5D they seem to have kinda gone one better. Takes a bit of thinking to sort it out though.

At any rate the "C" mode on the dial will restore any custom function settings, ISO, drive mode, etc. that you configure it to. There is only one custom mode available, so if you happen to do sport shooting or something then you may prefer to use it for that.

I have configured mine however to "Landscape Mode". By which I mean: ISO=100, drive mode = timer, Cn fn for mirror lockup set to "On".

So this is effectively my "landscape with tripod" mode. Switch to C, set focus and exposure then trigger the shutter (with or without cable release). When you click the shutter button the mirror flips up, then there is a 2-second wait, then the shutter goes.

To return it to a normal shooting mode just remove it from the tripod and flip to Av, Tv, or P, whatever suits the occasion.

I can see where it would still be nice occasionally to have a dedicated single-touch mirror lock-up button (surely it can't be hard to re-program the direct print button!) but the method outlined above seems like it works pretty well.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:50 AM   #2

same here with M mode to adjust Aperture and Shutter onmy own. Use it mainly during star trail shots and other Long exposure ones. Its very easy to use and its good.

WIsh they had given option to store multiple settings and configure that C mode to select one from the list
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:28 PM   #3

Ok, I'm confused, what is wrong with using the mirror lockup function that is explained on page 97 of the manual? Sorry, I'm just not understanding the problem.

gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:04 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The problem is that it's very fiddly and the camera is either in MLU mode or not, so there's no easy way to mix & match.

You might want to take a couple of shots to test the exposure and then go for one MLU shot for optimum sharpness. Seriously not easy to do (ergonomically) when the camera is mounted on the tripod.

Other cameras have MLU on a single button instead of via about a 6 step menu option.

Some people find this to be a real pain in the bum when in the field and regard it as extremely unfriendly, and highly annoying that Canon should see fit for example to put a direct print button on the camera (which is probably of use to about 2 people on the whole planet but Canon marketing like it) and not to put a MLU button on which would be useful to lots of people.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:25 AM   #5

its ever more painful to enable the MLU in 1D Mark II. Atleast in 5D its just Menu, scroll back wards to Custom setting, got to 11(enable, Disable MLU) and the back scroll button is very easy and fast to use. I usually can do it under 7-10 secs.

But in 1D Mark II, i get the extra button to press and hold for every other operations. Though getting used to the 1D is also very easy and one can get this withing 7-10 secs.

def would be better to have the MLU and ISO Compensation Mode like the AV, or TV mode.. WOuld be great to maintain a speed and Aperture while adjust the ISO.(in 5D)
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote