Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1

Playing around with the new Canon 1D MK3 here.

I did some ISO 6400 files with the 1D MK3 camera. The originals are:

Shot in Large JPG mode (not RAW)

Used the Canon 85mm 1.8 lens (EXIF is in tact)

Did some with the Canon 50mm 1.4 close to the end (EXIF is in tact)

Went back and forth between AWB and K set to 2500

Used 2 lamps in the room with dimmers. Dimmers were slid all the way down. My best way to express the light level is if a venue had it at this level and someone fell they would get sued.

I posted a set straight from the camera

I posted a set of corrected files too using Bibble. The correction include using an eyedropper for color balance, some exposure correction (surprisingly little - impressed) and using Bibble's Noise Ninja plug-in set to level 7. I did not sharpening or an thing else, it was just click the eyedropper and save as a new JPG file.

The camera was set to Faithful, with tone up 1, sharpness set to 4, contrast down 1 and a +2/3 ambient compensation.

If the shutter speed went particularly low I tried to brace myself on whatever.

That's it. These are dull boring and childish pictures. The white teddy bear is snow while, the doggie is chocolate brown closer to skin color rather than to chocolate color with a gray white center and the gray white is closer to a dirty white rather than gray. The other thing is pumpkin orange with rich greens.

Peter

The full size files are here - they are in different galleries clearly marked, make sure at the bottom you select ORIGINAL size to see the full size files of the big ones:

http://www.pbase.com/pgp777/mk3_high_iso_samples

These are Web size color corrected samples of the full size files:

And this is a shot of me still using ISO 6400 but with flash using the new Feather-Light flash diffuser (notice no glare from the glasses or oily forehead shine). I printed a couple of the above files out at 8x10 just to see for myself how they would look in real use. They are VERY VERY nice and I am quite impressed with how they printed out. This is a JPG shot from the camera fully processed using Noiseware and then reduced and sharpened for the web:

Peter Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:01 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Firstly WOW didn't know we had Mr. A Better Bounce Card here on Steve's!!

Secondly, these look great and the results at full size have much more of a film feel to them than other models...... must sell more work and then I can get one of these bad boys into the mix.

Thirdly, annoyed that I can't get the right material over here in the UK (well not that I've seen) to make the option that folds to give more shooting options. Any suggestions?

Thanks for sharing and I would love to see more on the features of this as you get into the camera more so you can give a real world view of how they stack up.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:22 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing!

I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on this camera. That 6400 is going to come in mighty handy come football season in the fall. But for now I have to be content to be on a waiting list.

One question - do you happen to know yet whether there are certain intermediate ISO levels to stay away from on the mk III? I believe both the 5d and 30d had certain values that, beause of the way canon achieved them, were WORSE than the next higher standard ISO value.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:11 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Oh that's interesting, do you know what levels these are on the 5D and 30D?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:54 AM   #5

Mark,

I don't follow it a whole lot since I don't have either camera. I did a quick search on the forum where I saw the information and found a related post. I'm guessing there is still some debate as to whether there is indeed a problem. Here's a link:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22578712

Again - I can't speak to the validity of the assertion but I've seen it in several different threads
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:57 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Cool, I will look more into this as now I use both of these cameras so want to ensure I get the best possible results.