Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1

I bought the Rebel XTi in November with the kit lens. I planned all along to buy another lens. [I posted a few times here though oddly I can't find those posts.]

One lens that was recommended was the Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS Lens. This has been delayed in production and is listed as "coming soon" @ B&H and Amazon. I've actually had it on order since March.

Last week I spoke to a salesman @ B&H who said that "there must be problems with it." He went on to say that expecting OS in a lens on the wide-angle end is "too much to expect."

Should I be looking for an alternative? I really need a good multi-purpose lens.

dg
dg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2007, 3:02 PM   #2
Administrator

I don't know why he's say that.

Nikon has an 18-200mm VR (Vibration Reduction) lens out now that users are quite fond of. Canon has some IS (Image Stabilization) lenses available that start out that wide, too.

Stabization is not going to beneift you as much in as many conditions if you're on the wide end of a lens (since camera shake is magnified as longer focal lengths are used). But, it's still beneficial, especially if you're shooting in less than optimum lighting and/or want to shoot at smaller apertures (higher f/stop numbers) for Depth of field purposes (for example, closeups).

It's too early to say whether that Sigma will be a decent quality lens or not (as those types of "all in one" lenses go).

Anytime you have that much focal range from wide to long, you can expect some compromises in quality (distortion, chromatic aberrations, focus speed, brightness, sharpness, etc.). It's a tradeoff for the convenience of having that much focal range in one relatively small and light lens.

Any lens choice is a compromise in one way or another.

If you really want a lens with that much focal range from wide to long, you may want to look at the new Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3. It won't have stabilization. But, as those types of lenses go (huge focal range from wide to long), it seems to be getting good user reviews so far (it looks like it may be an improvement over the Tamron 18-200mm from user reports I've seen).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 3:42 PM   #3

Jim: Thanks for the informative reply--I was kind of surprised by the salesman's remark as well. I'll check out the Tamron. I mostly shoot landscapes and architecture; very little in the way of portraits or "action," such as sporting events--always daytime. I do shoot some close up nature shots though. Still trying to determine what will best suit my needs. I'd rather have something I can leave on the camera that will be suitable in most situations--don't want to carry a bag around if I can avoid it.

dg

p.s.: Sorry for the duplicate posts--I emailed a moderator and requested that it be removed, if possible.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:27 PM   #4
Administrator

I am a moderator. ;-)

We were having some forum issues that should be resolved now. Don't worry about the dupes. It's not your fault (the browser window you made the post from probably kept showing that it was waiting for the forums, even though the post was actually made). It was a forums problem on our end causing it.

I'll get rid of them if Kalypso hasn't done that already.

Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:32 PM   #5

Jim: I know you're a moderator--I sent an email to Steve mostly because he's listed first :shock:. And you're correct--Firefox reported that it was waiting.---dg
Old Jun 10, 2007, 4:38 PM   #6
Administrator

Yep... I recently suggested that Steve remove his name from the top of the forums as a moderator, unless he wanted to keep getting those kinds of requests. I'd personally rather his time was spent on things like reviews. ;-)

But, he likes to keep his hands in the issues (and that's unusual for someone running a site like this), and that's a good thing.

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:38 AM   #7

The delay in the release of this Sigma lens continues and now I'm wondering whether I should reconsider focal length--I really question whether I need to go all the way up to 200 mm, particularly considering the 1.6 conversion factor. I shoot mostly landscapes and architectural shots and believe me needs are more @ the wider end. The Canon L series is out of my price range. Recommendations?

[As I mentioned previously, I've been trying to locate a previous post [a topic I started] approx Nov 22 2006. I asked for advice choosing a lens for my XTi. A lot of people weighed in and I subsequently posted an image in the string. But that post seems to have disappeared . Wish I could find it because there was a lot of very good information given.]

Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:28 PM   #8

It seems, Sigma 18-200 OS is now available.

http://geizhals.at/eu/a219188.html
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 5:11 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Is this the one you were looking for?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37

The easy way to find threads you have started is click on your name in a current thread (you can click on my account however the options are different and it's not as easy to find your threads), then my profile, click the topics thread and you will see all topics you've started. You can do the same with the next tab - posts - to show all of the posts you've made.

Hope that helps.

As for waiting, it's hard to know what to do as the lens does look with OS but you can't wait for ever. In the UK it does not seem to have been released yet as everywhere is still listing preorder.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:19 PM   #10

Yesterday I ordered my Sigma 18-200 OS ... it's on the way to me :-)

I waited ~ 1 year for this lens ... now I am waiting for the Zuiko 70-300

Waiting is a funny thing
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote