Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:51 AM   #1

Does anyone know if Canon have early plans to upgrade or replace the 400D (Rebel XTI) ?

Can someone tell me if the anti-dust system on the Canon body works effectively ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know if Canon have early plans to upgrade or replace the 400D (Rebel XTI) ?
no one knows - Canon keeps things pretty close to the vest but it's highly unlikely. The 1Ds, 5d and 30d are all due for new versions before the 400D. If I had to guess I'd say you've got a year to 18 months wait ahead. But like everyone else I'm just guessing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:58 AM   #3

The EOS 300/350/400Ds are usually marketed with features exclusive to the line, later to be incorporated into the Canon prosumer EOS Digital line:

300D: first EOS touse the EF-S mount

350D: similar to 300 except for a lighter body(usingthe NB-2LHbattery pack sourced from Canon camcorders and/or Powershot A, G, and S-series)

400D:10.1 MP CMOS sensor, dust delete option, elimination of the top LCD control panel(sourced from the EOS-1D series).

The 400D replacement(?450D or 4th gen. Rebel ***? for the North American market) should incorporate the following: the wheel-dial from the Canon Powershot G7 in place of the 4-button selector (next to the LCD monitor), and acompacted body which should be a clone of the Nikon D40/D40x (more ergonomically-friendly).

If there is a Rebel ***? (or ?450D) for 2008,only time will tell...
Attached Images

montrosepatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:07 AM   #4
Super Moderator

montrosepatriot wrote:
Quote:
The 400D replacement (?450D or 4th gen. Rebel ***? for the North American market) should incorporate the following: the wheel-dial from the Canon Powershot G7 in place of the 4-button selector (next to the LCD monitor), and acompacted body which should be a clone of the Nikon D40/D40x (more ergonomically-friendly).

If there is a Rebel ***? (or ?450D) for 2008,only time will tell...
I love to guess what the major brands will do and here is my guess. Firstly I don't think they will add a wheel as this is one of the defining differences with the 30D and up so think they will keep the entry option as entry. I think we will be looking at higher res (no really.... I'm a genius) and I think they might pop in 4fps to be that bit faster than the competition. This is on the assumption that the 40D or whatever replaces the 30D has 6fps now the 1D MkIII now has 10fps and Canon are wanting to lead the way in this.

Apart from that I'm not sure what else might be on the cards.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 3:24 PM   #5

Although the Powershot G7 has been on the market for a few months, one of the control dials next to the screen (which rotates) should be incorporated into future Canon products. There is not enough room on the 400D body for a wheel dial sourced from a 30D.

Here's the pic of the component in question:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...g7/g7_back.jpg

The 'ring' seen on the back of the G7 is what I am referring to, not the half-dollar sized dial from the 30D.
montrosepatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 1:08 AM   #6

FWIW - I've had a good play with the G7 (dad has recently bought one as his techie p&s) - and I REALLY like the wheel-thing on the back. It's really nice to use.
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote