Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:03 AM   #1

Hi guys,

was using my 5D yesterday night for some long exposures. It took few dozen pictures. It was a bit misty near a lake. Not drenching mist but a bit misty and few tiny sparkles(or the misty spray u get near a falls).

I took like 2 pictures in the mist.

I had the Mirror Lock enabled. So i locked the mirror and enabled bulb exposure and enable the shutter.

After enabling the shutter i got a err 99 on the top LCD

The camera focuses well, the camera performs exactly the way the way it should. But the shutter is not working properly.

Rather it appears as if the shutter is stuck on the mirro mode forever.

I removed the batteries, changed the CF cards and reset all the camera settings.

The lens used was 24-105.The lens performs well on the 1D(lucky i had a back up to continue with pictures)

The CF cards all work well on the 1D.

After focus confirmation, when i pres the shutter the mirror stays in the locked position. With the lens on, it stays in the position. When i remove the lens the mirror goes back to its original position.

SO i tried without the lens and for the first shutter press, the mirror appears in the lock posuition and for the next shutter press it gets released. NO PICTURE is taken

When i klook at it in the light i see that the shutter is in the Closed position with the Mirror up, and it tries to open a bit and its stuck. I can see a 3mm sensor while the rest is covered with the shutter

Any body with some helop would be great. Since i am going to a trip to India tomorrow, i wont have enuff time to send it to canon to repair. Alos though there are service centres in India, i am not sure i can use the cameras USA warranty there.

PLEASE HELP GUYS

vj
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:15 PM   #2

Did you change the Custom Function to disable the mirror lock up? If you don't it will be active in every mode except the green fully automatic mode. I think there's a menu option to reset everything back to default.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:17 PM   #3

Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:17 PM   #4

Did you change the Custom Function to disable the mirror lock up? If you don't it will be active in every mode except the green fully automatic mode. I think there's a menu option to reset everything back to default.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:17 PM   #5