Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:21 AM   #1

I have had an MKIII on order for about 7 weeks now. I am tired of not having a camers. Has anyone compared the IQ between the two cameras? I don't need all the bells and whistles of the MKIII but I have read that the 5D is about to be replaced. I don't know what to do. I just want the best output and a camera that works well in low light.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Tony
Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Well the 5D was also about to be replaced 8 months ago.

When a new version comes out the old one won't stop working. If the 5D is good enough then go for it.

The big advantage of buying a 5D now is that it is only about 2/3 of the price it was when it was launched. I've had mine for 2 months now and I'm not sorry I didn't wait.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:24 AM   #3

My understanding, from reading in other places, is that the MkIII's image quality is just slightly better. Slightly better noise (lower) at reasonable ISOs. I don't know about contrast and color rendition.

But not really enough to justify the upgrade for the average user.

The cameras are so different I'm not sure its worth considering them both if you take into account cost.

Will you actually use the features of the MkIII that you're paying for? Is it really worth spending the money on them (At least $2,000 USD more.) Especially when that money could be spent on a good quality lens... or a trip somewhere to use the camera? You can do a lot with that much money.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4

Eric,

I really don't need 10FPS like the MKIII has. I take pictures of birds, my nieces and I would like to do weddings and parties. That is why I was considering the MKIII. I read where it's great in low light situations without a flash. I used a 5D for a couple of days. I mainly took pictures of birds in flight. They were fantastic. The only thing I am worried about is the large sensor and dust.

Tony

Tonyv49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:25 PM   #5

Tonyv49 wrote:
Quote:
Eric,

I take pictures of birds, my nieces and I would like to do weddings and parties. That is why I was considering the MKIII. I read where it's great in low light situations without a flash. I used a 5D for a couple of days. I mainly took pictures of birds in flight. They were fantastic. The only thing I am worried about is the large sensor and dust.

Tony

ISO performance of III is SLIGHTLY better - hotly debated topic how much better - around 1/3 - 1 full stop better depending on who you listen to. But We're talking ISO 1600 and 3200 here. You shouldn't be using either for weddings.

Bids in flight - mk III will have a HUGE advantage if the focus system is working. The focus system of the 1 series is leaps and bounds better than non 1 series. There is some discussion though as to whether or not there are actual focus issues with the mk III. i read somewhere where Rob Golbraith has a follow-up to his initial review and he is still claiming there are issues. There are a lot of 'novice' wildlife shooters claiming there are issues. So I take their posts with a grain of salt.

I think the larger sensor and dust is a non issue - the 5d isn't any more likely to attract dust. I'm going to venture a guess that most dust enters camera from lens and when changing lenses. So sealing on the 1 series is only good if you're using sealed lenses. To me anyway cleaning a sensor is easy enough for the dust thing to be a non issue unless you plan on using the gear constantly in poor environmental conditions (dry dusty climates etc).

As for the 5d being replaced - rest assured whenever it's replaced you'll have similar availability problems like the mk III is going through now. Neither is a mass market camera so the first 6 months are going to see demand far outpace supply.

Bottom line? If you're tired of waiting for the mk III after only a month (you may have been on a list longer but it's only been shipping the past 3-4 weeks) with no end in site I'd suggest deciding between 5D which is the best match for your low light and wedding work or a mkIIN which is the best match for your birding needs. Both cameras are available now and both are excellent but realize your stated needs are a bit different - the wedding low light and the birds-in-flight. So, whichever is more important to you then go with that camera (IIN for BIF and 5d for wedding/low light). Either camera will do fairly well in the other category.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:15 AM   #6
NHL

I'll second JohnG suggestion :idea:

Why not get the 1DMrkIIN? This camera capability hasn't changed any just because there's a MrkIII out... Actually you might even find some good deals because people are upgrading to the MrkIII which will allow you to get the best of both world (5D for wedding and 1DMrkIIN for high-speed birding) for less than the cost of the MrkIII alone with no wait!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:19 AM   #7

Nothing wrong with the MkII N suggestion. I've got the camera and its a wonderful piece of equipment.

JohnG,
As to your comments about focusing issues, I thought I'd add that I know a forum where they are absolutely *not* novices and some there are also seeing some focusing issues.

There are questions about what settings are being used. The camera is quite different in its configuration and "birds in flight" shots are not easy (small eraticly moving subject where the background can change radically and things can suddently be between you and the subject.) So it is the camera (misconfigured) or the camera (messed up!) The jury is still out.

But others are not having issues. And they (seem) to be just as demanding.

I'm just glad I didn't buy one. I might around the end of the year. Maybe. Possibly. Or I could use the money to go to Florida and get more shots with what I got!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:16 PM   #8

eric s wrote:
Quote:
JohnG,
As to your comments about focusing issues, I thought I'd add that I know a forum where they are absolutely *not* novices and some there are also seeing some focusing issues.
It also seems as though Rob Golbraith's post-production review has stirred up a hornets nest among sports shooters. Again the results are mixed - some claiming they have encountered the same issues Rob describes and some claiming they have no issues. I think it's safe to say there is probably SOME issue - only in so much as it's a new product and they did revamp the focusing.

Now, unlike you Eric, I'm working off a 20d. So I'm still keeping my place in the waiting list for the mark III with the thought that there will either be a recall or firmware update or they'll just halt production if it's serious enough and fix it. But for me, fall sports is a huge part of my shooting and the improved ISO and focus performance will be a big boost. Otherwise, I would happily wait a year until all bugs were worked out.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:12 PM   #9
Administrator

I've been reading Rob G's updates with interest, and to be frank, I'm taking most of it with a 'grain of salt".

The new camera is highly tunable, and I think part of the issue is that the AF algorithms probably assume that only the focus point is going to be acceptably sharp.

Rob G's examples seem to show a problem with things like a face slightly OOF, with the body still acceptably sharp. If he was not using the face as the focus point, the new algorithms may not make sure the focus point is "centered" within the focus range of acceptable sharpness (to give faster AF response times).

So, I think the more likely story is that it's just different compared to an AF algorithm that may make sure the focus point is "centered" within the DOF range (allowing you to use a body as the focus point and still have an accpetable sharp face for a given aperture, focus distance and focal length).

IOW, I think it's more likely a speed versus accuracy tradeoff issue, and if the exact focus point is within a given range (even if it's on the outside of the range versus being centered within the DOF range), it uses it. That's a design decision to improve performance from my perpective, versus any kind of "bug".

The lighting conditions observations made are interesting though, and the algorithms may be geared towards finer adjustments in lower light (although I have seen numerous observations that lighting temperature can impact AF accuracy in a variety of cameras).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:55 AM   #10

Jim,

I understand what you're saying - and I would agree IF the results were consistent. What intrigues me is the environmental aspect to his findings - temperature and brightness. If it were purely a difference in algorithm the same issues should have shown up in overcast situations. And at least according to Rob they did not. Now, I'm still hopeful it IS a firmware issue. Let's face it, the focusing algorithms are obviously complex - I'm guessing there are different logical pathways in different conditions. I think we'll know more in 2-3 weeks.