Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 20, 2007, 4:37 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I have Just bought a canon EOS 400D SLR Wich appears to be a superb piece of kit. I have recently been asked to do a few promotional shots for a couple oflocal bands who play gigs in local clubs and pubs. I would appreciate any advice on the best way to tackle this and get the best out of my camera. Any advice on this or any matter regarding getting the best from the canon EOS 400D would be much appreciated

Thanks

Kind regards Rich
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Rich and welcome to Steve's!!!

Good to speak to someone just up the coast from me

Anyway, firstly what lens/lenses do you have? Do you know how well lit the places the bands are going to be?

You will find this is a great place to learn as there are a whole range of photographers from complete beginners through to pros. I'm a wannabe pro and hope to make the jump in a year or so once I have the craft more sorted.

Here are a few shots I've taken at different events with both Canon and Konica Minolta.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3

Hi Mark,
Great Pics looks like you already got it soughted. I have a canon 15-55 and a Tamron 55-200. I see by looking at your pics that the venues are quite well lit. I have a few pictures already that were taken in a pub, the lighting was not that good. I would post them for you to see but when I click on the insert image tab it asks me for the image URL. I have already got them on photobucket but I have a share URL, a URL link, a HTML Tag and an IMG code. Do you or any one who reads this post know which one of these I enter into the box. The band I am photographing are due to play in a few bigger venues ie the wedgewood rooms. You may have heard of it as you are another south coastie its quite a big venue. The lighting should be good any way.
I must agree that the site looks like a great place to learn.

Rich

Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

One was well lit the other was pushing the limits on my 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I also have a 85mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.8 when going gets tough and I get get closer to the action.

If you right click on a photo and then select properties you want the Address (URL), then go Insert Image from the menu bar and paste all the URL in. That should do it for you.

With your lenses you might find them to be the limiting factor as they are probably not bright enough but lets see what you have so far.

Mark
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:39 AM   #5

Hi Mark here are some of my pics. Can you suggest the type of lense I should be looking for.

Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:33 AM   #6

Rich, I just got a Digital Rebel XTi also. Check out this ebook. I found it a great resource, especially since this is my first DSLR.

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/rebels/index.htm

I'm still looking for info on lenses. The kit lens is ok, but I'm quickly finding out I need something with more zoom.
sch21c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:41 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I guess you are looking to shoot without flash so with ambient light so that you get rid of the harsh shadow.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The shot on the right you would have got a nice result with the Canon 50mm f1.8 and the one on the left would have wanted a 70-200mm f2.8 and a very steady hand or pref a monopod. You would obviously have movement in the stick but that adds nice feel of action to the shot.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:22 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice I will take a look at the lenses you reccomend.

Sch21c Have you actually purchased the e-book or like me have you only browsed the free pages. heres a link for you I found it quite helpfull if like me you are new to DSLR it was posted by another member.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/p_2_001.html
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:39 AM   #9

Rich66 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice I will take a look at the lenses you reccomend.

Sch21c Have you actually purchased the e-book or like me have you only browsed the free pages. heres a link for you I found it quite helpfull if like me you are new to DSLR it was posted by another member.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/p_2_001.html
I purchased the e-book. For a beginner like me, it was definitely worth it. The manual that comes with the Canon is not designed for the neophyte. Friedman's e-book breaks the different camera options down and gives great examples of the same picture taken with different settings.

I found it to be written in an easy to read, conversational style. That can be important with technical material like this.

I tried following your link, but it brought me to the main forum page of this board.
sch21c is offline   Reply With Quote