Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 30, 2007, 7:49 AM   #11

Well, for original posting here, considered suggestion that my err99 problem may be my battery. Took this with a grain of salt as my battery indicator still said full when these errors happened and the battery really has had minimal usage as compared to several replies. But, ordered a new battery just to be sure. It arrived yesterday, charged it up, inserted in camera, started shooting and...

err99

I'm starting to suspect it's some type of electrical issue. Shooting a single picture at a time, no real problem. Add a USM lens or external flash, one maybe two shots. Use a simpler lens and start quick firing away for multiple pics, error. I'm not extremely alarmed as the camera is still under warranty and I think I got an extended warranty on top, but... Not all that crazy about putting a device this expensive and sensitive in the mail.

Anyone? Any additional thoughts or suggestions on possible electrical/communication issues? Lens compatibility errors even though all lenses are Canon? Any last thing to check? Camera reset?
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:39 AM   #12

lerraff... Your account of the error and when it happens is pretty much the same as mine. I take shots that are multiple but the single shot is also one that I get the error message. Also I just hate the thought of packaging it up and sending it away. Its like putting a family member in a box and saying good bye for I'm sureat least a month. My experience with the Nikon repair center was a 2 month nightmare and after mulitple complaints of keeping my camera awaiting one partthey finally sent me a new one to replace the problem... That was great but I still was with out it for nearly 2 months. It seems that their desire to take care of the problem is for sure not the urgency of mine. So I will probably hang in there with it till my racing season is over in late November. I'll let you know tomorrow how it did....

Always In Memory of Aaron #98, Arlene

http://www.Lantzermx98.com

Please Don't Drink and Drive
MXLens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:32 AM   #13

EDIT: Posted excited and prematurely as I thought my err99 issue may have been a fairly new CF card. Put in old card and camera seemed to work fine even ripping out 10 shots in a row.

Put External Flash (430 EX) on camera, and, first shot...

err99!!!

arrrgghhhhh!!!!!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:20 PM   #14

leeraff.... Yuk sorry to hear that.... My day wasn't that bad with the camera... Shot off about 900 pictures.....I had the camera stripped down twice yesterday, batteries fully charged... cleaned all areas that they suggest and starting pictures this morning. I made sure that the flash was up and didn't bother with trying the sports mode for it never works so went straight to the portriat mode. Very first moto the A class is coming right at me.... first picture okay, second okay.... then error 99... Crap.... then here comes the B Class.... turn it off and took more pictures with out error. The error still came up from time to time BUT not as bad..... as last week.. So I will keep with this preparation until I can get Canon to look at it.... But I'm so feared that even after all of that it will still come back with the same problem that we all share... Oh well... I'll keep and eye on here for any suggestions... Thanks again..

Old Jul 1, 2007, 9:20 PM   #15

"that we all share..."

Is this a common problem? I think I'd seen some random error message posts but what I'm experiencing is crippling.

You mention "strip down" and "cleaning." What advice did you get and where from?

I'll try most anything before shipping it off.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:38 AM   #16

leeraff....

I received this from a Canon Tech person after an e-mail to them with my problem (last year). Also it came to me by another weary Canon owner who also suggested that I do this. It seems to help but DOES NOT fix the problem.

Good Luck! Arlene

Try this procedure.

To isolate the cause of the issue, we suggest that you do the following:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Remove the lens, battery, and CF card.
3. Allow the camera to sit without power for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Insert a fully charged battery, and turn on the camera.
5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture.

Does the "ERR 99″ message appear? If it does, then the camera should be
serviced. If it does not, then please proceed to the next set of steps:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Insert the CF card.
3. Turn on the camera.
4. Format the CF card in the camera.

Does the "ERR 99″ message appear? If so, then the CF card is the most
likely source of the issue. Try using a different card.

If the message does not appear, please complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Clean the lens contacts by gently rubbing them with a pencil eraser
or soft cloth. Be careful that you do not let any debris fall into the
camera body.
3. Reattach your lens.
4. Turn on the camera.

If the "ERR 99″ message only appears when one particular lens is
attached, then that lens should be examined by a service technician.

If you see the "ERR 99″ with a different Canon lens attached, then the
camera should be serviced.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:47 AM   #17

Another day at the track.. Over 1000 pictures shot. First class had many error 99. BUT I think that I understand what it is doing.... With the problem of not being able to use the sport mode I have too use the portrait mode. It was early morning and the sun was pretty much in my shot..... so away from the light no problem.... toward the light (sun) error 99, over and over. This continued over the day and presented it's self everytime that I took a shot that caught more sun light. Interesting.... Any thoughts here?

Old Jul 11, 2007, 2:09 AM   #18

I tried the 'procedure' with my recently-scored 350D and scenario #3 was thecause. I had a defective 18-55 lens to which I used a 1987-vintage 35-70 (non-macro) lens and my 350D has not experienced the Err99 since.

I am not sure to score a Sigma 18-200 (besides the QRay and/or Tamron versions) since I am in need of a zoom lens for everyday use.
montrosepatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:36 PM   #19

UPDATE:
30d went off to Canon service center for warranty repair after the err99 headache.

Problem was apparently something with the shutter mechanism which they claim to have replaced entirely.

UPDATE, UPDATE:
Camera will be sent BACK TO CANON for a "Return Repair."

For Karma and just the sake of general goodwill, I'll keep my frustrations to a minimum and major details to myself for another week or two hoping this second trip gets it right. (CSR claims Canon Customer and Technical Services follow some of these forums.)

That said, the camera came back with AF Points (red boxes) dull, grainy, barely visible and, the top boxes missing their tops. That was one thing but now I am beyond convinced ALL images are extremely soft.

I'd bought some new lenses before the rebates expired. (Can you imagine how much it hurt to sit and look at them daily and have no camera to put them on!!!) Figured I just needed to get used to these new, more sophisticated, heavier lenses. Never did get better. Finally put on old lenses, INCLUDING PRIMES, tested in every way. SOFT!!!!

Canon feels perhaps something didn't get fully seated, tightened, whatever. Great. Here comes the camera again (deep breaths, good thoughts, all smiles...)

Keep you posted.