Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:28 PM   #1

(EDIT: FIRST UPDATE BELOW...)
30d is just short of a year old. Has worked amazingly well but getting err99 message at an alarming rate for the past few days.

Only had one prior experience with the err99 message. Only other freakish thing was that the pop-up flash was stuck in the down position for a few days and actually would fire in the down position. Seemed like both of those issues were easily solved by recharging the battery.

Now, for the past few days, I'm getting this err99 message and actually had the flash stuck in the down position again.

Only major difference in camera usage is much more use of external flash and new 28-135mm with IS. Understand the IS is fairly demanding on the battery and I HAVE BEEN seeing my battery drain much quicker..

Recharged battery. Taken off flash. Every combination of lens on/off, flash on/off, etc and err99 seems to happen every 4-5 shots now. Sometimes after every shot. Extremely concerned. Almost seems like it's some type of electrical or power issue.

Any advice. Experience with this as a prolonged, almost expected occurrence???

Thanks.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:32 PM   #2
NHL

Get a new battery! :idea:
-> An old battery may not have the same current capability anymore... especially after a year
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks. Hate to hear that but, makes sense. At least a backup battery may answer whether that is in fact the problem.

Leads to a new question. For those with much more experience, how much life should we expect out of these batteries. I'm probably at 13-14 thousand pictures. Not having used any IS lenses until very recently, I would go months and months without needing to recharge the battery. In fact, I don't think I've still yet charged it but 5 or 6 times. I KNOW I haven't charged it ten times, fact.

So, while I'd LOVE for that to be the answer, I would have never thought one would die off that quickly.

Hate to prolong this with the obnoxious (obvious) question, but, any thoughts on the "expected" life of this battery???
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:32 AM   #4
NHL

You don't seriously expect an accurate answer, but a guess right???

Your mileage may vary - This is an elertro-chemical reaction and will depend on:
1. How long the battery was on the shelf before the camera is sold
2. How often a user charge/discharge
3. How much load is put on the battery when it's used (continuous burst vs single shot, AI-servo vs single-AF, IS, and flash etc...)
This is analoguous to a car's battery some cars run with the headlight and A/C on all the time while other may be just idling... and also weather related i.e. in hot or cold situation

-> Go to Target/Walmart to get another higher rated capacity battery (> mAh) and you can actually shoot longer than the standard Canon battery!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:55 AM   #5

Geez Louise. NHL, I do always appreciate and respect your answers but have certainly learned to take a little bit of a tongue lashing when I get them.

No, I didn't exactly expect someone to say, "You'll get 8,000 shots. If any less, and I mean one less shot, race back to your camera store and demand a new battery." :blah:

Certainly one understands there is tons of variation in the way every single person shoots. I just didn't know if they were rated for an "AVERAGE" amount of shots, hours, something. If someone else had gone 100,000 shots, I'd be a little frustrated.
Regardless, and I DO hope that is my problem, I am shocked that the battery may have lost that much "capability" after what I consider, perhaps not you, but what I consider a relatively short period of time.

We use our camcorder probably more often than the 30d. Tons of rechargeable batteries throughout the house. If they had to all be replaced this quick, I'd be walking around with corded devices. I'd be out of house and home.

As always, thanks. Guess I'll do some research on what others have bought as replacement batteries, unless of course you'd like to point me to any links you already know exist. (Should I get ready??? :P) Kidding and thanks for any help.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:55 AM   #6

This is the kind of question that everyone hesitates to respond to. I once read many years ago that lithium batteries were good for three years or 300 to 500 recharge cycles. My experience with Sony equipment proved that adage to be true. However my Canon batteries have been in service much longer. I Have the original Battery that came with my Eos10D and it is still viable. I have owned eight batteries in total from three different manufactures and have had good service from all. I have two that don't last long in cold weather but provided 600 shots at the Zoo just the other day. I don't think it is possible to answer a battery related question due to all the variables. I do know that it is the cheapest item there is to replace on your camera and as it is a chemical item it is proned to failure as anything else and is very easy to replace as a trouble shooting step.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:48 PM   #7
NHL

... and I always thought Err-99 is created by Canon to weed out Sigma lenses! :-):lol::G

Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:48 AM   #8
Super Moderator

>>... and I always thought Err-99 is created by Canon to weed out Sigma lenses

Of course, there is a random error generator that comes into operation when you are using Sigma lenses. The camera measures your excitement at the photographic opportunity and increases the Err-99 chance when it thinks you may have a good shot lined up. :blah:

My spare 20D batteryis still good for maybe 300 shots on my 5D and it's 3 years old. Hasn't had too many discharges - probably only 20 or so (it was my spare after all). The new battery is probably good for 350-400 shots. But sometimes you get a duff battery, could have been sitting on the shelf in the sun for a few months, who knows.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 4:45 AM   #9

The kit lens that I scored on eBay a few months back (EFS 18-55) usually gives the err99 after a few shots. Currently, the lens is on the auction block since its history is unknown.
montrosepatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:13 PM   #10

So good to find this site..... I have a Rebel XT and love the pictures that it takes but I am just about ready to throw the thing over the hill. I have a Canon Lens 55-200mm that the sales person felt I should buy to keep the errors down. Well that didn't help. I take pictures of motocross riders... have an error 99 and miss the shot.... Lots of shots .... This has been going on since I got the camera last year about this time. Talked to the technical team, many times,at Canon.... yeah right.... have done the strip down many times.... turn it off, take the battery out replace.... take the shot error 99 again, and again, and again. Oh yes I really like the one that you should use is the eraser. Just doesn't seem right to have something like that that crumbles so close to the inners of the camera. But very carefully have done that as well. I would like to use the sports mode but the errors areworse than the portrait mode (interesting to have to use the portrait mode to take motocross riders racing around a track) So FRUSTRATED... Of course they say that my only option is to box it up and send it to NJ.... I have Sunday races to go to till the end of October. I'm sure that their turn around is not one of their top priorities.... like it is mine.

I will try the battery thing. My batteries that I use seem to be as strong as when I got them. I take 1000-1500 pictures using both of them and neither one ever has run completely down. But if that can make a difference I will try anything to get me to October when I will send the thing back to them... Again it is great seeing a forum with all of this experience that you all have.

Always In Memory of Aaron #98, Arlene

http://www.Lantzermx98.com

Please Don't Drink and Drive
MXLens is offline   Reply With Quote