Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:03 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have heard any new news on the replacement for the 30D. Or will we just have to wait a few months more? As the manufacturers usually tend to wait till the faill months to start rolling out new models.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:53 AM   #2
Super Moderator

My guess is that you will have to wait a few months more.

My guess is that they are pouring all their resources into the 1DMkIII at the moment, it seems to be having a few teething problems. Only once that all settles down will they contemplate the release of the 30D replacement. Even then they might decide to upgrade the 1Ds first.

You then also want to think about whether you want a camera that is brand new to the market or one that has had a few months of production to iron out the bugs. A lot of people who have just stumped up the cash for the 1DMkIII are wishing they'd waited a few months right now. Though I got one of the first 20Ds and it was fine, just depends on how you judge the risk.

Waiting for a few months also brings the price down.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 4:05 AM   #3
Super Moderator

When do you need a camera? I would say always buy when you need on and never before. I've just added a 5D to my bag although this has been out much longer than the 30D (which I already have) and is likely to soon be replaced. The advantage of this is that the price is considerably lower than the new body will come out at. If you are willing to wait and already have a camera that is meeting your needs then play the waiting game. It will probably be announced at the trade shows in Sept (but no guarantee) and then will be available some months later.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:41 AM   #4

at least 4 months away from being able to get a new 30d, 5d or 1ds replacement. As peripatetic suggested, Canon's efforts are focused now on working out kinks in their flagship 1dIII release. And while other cameras have their own production teams/ manufacturing I would think from a PR standpoint, Canon will want to clean up their image a bit on the mark III. But, don't forget - there are Canon users clamoring for a 1ds replacement (their full frame flagship) and a 5d replacement - both of which have been on market longer than the 30d.

Of course you could debate to the end of time what you think canon should/will do, it's pure speculation. History has shown it is UNLIKELY canon would replace all 3 cameras at once.

But bottom line - don't expect an announcement before August/September and figure at least 2 months after the announcement before the camera is available. Best case I think you're looking at November. Worst case is next year.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:02 PM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
at least 4 months away from being able to get a new 30d, 5d or 1ds replacement. As peripatetic suggested, Canon's efforts are focused now on working out kinks in their flagship 1dIII release. And while other cameras have their own production teams/ manufacturing I would think from a PR standpoint, Canon will want to clean up their image a bit on the mark III. But, don't forget - there are Canon users clamoring for a 1ds replacement (their full frame flagship) and a 5d replacement - both of which have been on market longer than the 30d.

Of course you could debate to the end of time what you think canon should/will do, it's pure speculation. History has shown it is UNLIKELY canon would replace all 3 cameras at once.

But bottom line - don't expect an announcement before August/September and figure at least 2 months after the announcement before the camera is available. Best case I think you're looking at November. Worst case is next year.
Hello JohnG et al.,

Thanks for your comments.

I had no idea Canon was having problems with their 1DM3. Not that I was considering it at all. As it would have been overkill for m useage. I'm llooking for a DSLR along the lines of the 30D (and Nikon D200). But being as I already have a decent P&S (with manual modes) I can wait. Whether that means i'll be waiting till November or early next year. I just wondered if there was any news on the 30D's replacement and if any of you had heard anything.

If I needed a new DSLR today I would be getting the Nikon D200. But, I do like what Canon has done with their DSLRs and their corporate mindset (more so than the suits at Nikon). And would like to give Canon a chance too. Which is why I'm eager to see what Canon does with the 30D replacement. And am willing to wait till they do. Hopefully with very few noticeable bugs on it's introduction.

Any how, if there is some news I'm sure we'll all find out and that it will be reported on this forum.

Cya guys! And thanks!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote