Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 3, 2007, 8:13 PM   #1

OK, we'll start with these 2 - ISO 6400. Only edit done is crop & resize - not even in-camera noise reduction.

photo:

Did I say this was 6400? Yep. Here's a 100% crop

Sorry folks that's it for now. Gotta go watch fireworks. More tomorrow or Thursday.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2007, 4:18 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hey John, very cool to have finally got your new 'toy', and for 6400 that is surprisingly usable as a get out of jail free option. Looking forward to seeing how it works in real world situations for those nasty gyms etc.

Keep us up to date on the reported focus issues etc.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:19 PM   #3
TG

Congratulation on your new purchase John, ISO 6400 looks outstanding much better than ISO 3200 on my MKII N.

As Marksaid keep us informed if you have anyfocus issues, especially with AI Servo tracking and burst captures as is being reported everywhere on other forums at the moment.

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:15 PM   #4

OK, next test. Some difficult action shots. I have my first real shoot tomorrow so I wanted to give AI-Servo a real test. My brother-in-law is a K-9 officer. So I had him help me out by running his dog. I set up this test with the subject backlit. Here is the first burst I did - 7 shots in under a second. And, the subject only filled about 1/3 of the frame. AND to make matters tougher I shot at 2.8 (normally I'd shoot a dog at 5.6). Photos were cropped, some USM and levels. Here's the sequence.

So here's my take. I made the test more difficult than it needed to be. 1st too shots subject was far away so focus is a bit off. Shots 3 & 4 & 5are sharp. When the dog turns, that's when focus struggles again for 6 & 7.

Front lit, still at 2.8 a 3 shot burst did well:

A special thanks to Kasey:

His reward:

and Wonko (sounds like vonko) - retired:

Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:10 PM   #5
TG

Looks good John,Looks like in the pics 1 & 2, and1 & 3 (maybe even in 2) in the last burst camera has focused on front legs. In 6 & 7 when dogturns, back of dog looks sharper a bit hard to tell with small images (understand using f2.8 shallow depth of field and dog running towards camera).

Were you using a singleor all focus points and what part of the dog were youfocused on?Would be interesting to use a single focus point kept on dogs head.

Were you impressed John, were you expecting more from the MKIII or to early to tell yet?
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:00 PM   #6

too early to tell. It did a better job than my 20d could have done. I'll have a better idea after the two baseball games tomorrow.

By the way I used single point with focus point expansion.

I can tell you one thing I'm very disappointed in - the LCD. It's big but very poor quality - worse quality than what I had on my 20d.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:34 PM   #7

OK,

Here's an update after the first full bore field test. 2 baseball games, 5 hours in the 88 degree bright sun. The first game started at 9am with sun coming out of left field. I started with my120-300 2.8 and 1.4x TC. In looking at the results I was completely underwhelmed. Focus was consistent and servo tracked, but it was always a bit off. Part of the problem, IMO was the TC - I had had issues in the past with the TC in bright sun. As the game wore on and the sun moved more overhead I noticed the shots getting better. About the 5th inning I ditched the TC. Looking at shots of the second game which started at 11:45, the results were markedly better. It was still bright hot sun but more overhead.

Things I liked:

10fps - man that is great. Not that I ever completed a 10 shot burst I don't think (I hate to machine gun) but it is nice to get shots that close together.

Focus speed - locked on fast, didn't completely miss as much as my 20d did. Even in the second game I had some soft shots but not nearly as many as with my 20d in the past.

ISO in the viewfinder

Things I didn't like:

The lcd as mentioned before - it really is pathetic for a camera this expensive

Trying to take just a single shot - difficult to do. I fired off 2 shots more often than I would have liked

Need to get used to the different shutter sound - it's a double sound rather than a single click. I believe the mkII N is similar? So it's difficult to judge number of exposures

Need more memory. With compression set to 10 I can only fit about 340 shots on a 2 gig card. On the 20d I would fit 560. So I actually had to drop the compression down to 9 to make sure with 5 gig of cards I had enough to shoot 2 games (2nd game shooting both teams).

So, based on this one experience (and 1000+ shots) I can say there were definitely issues with bright sun at an angle. But once it was overhead there were none more than I would expect.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow night.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 1:36 AM   #8

Hello JohnG,

Congrats on the new camera! Sounds like things are for the most part working out well for you. But i did read that the 1DM3 has a few bugs. Forget what they were. Have you run into any of them?

Also, a newbie question for you (and any other 20D/30D owner)...how necessary is it to have AF Assist? Do you guys always raise the built-in flash? Or have to remember to attach an external flash? Or do you get away with using no flash?

And have you (or any one else) heard any news on the 40D?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:14 AM   #9

Quote:
But i did read that the 1DM3 has a few bugs. Forget what they were. Have you run into any of them?
The biggest bugg rumored was inconsistant auto focus performance. The only time I ran into that issue was with bright sun at a very direct angle (early morning) for a baseball game. In all other instances, focus has been very consistant for me. I will say that I wasn't thrilled with the sharpness of my shots with the camera and my outdoor sports lens (sigma 120-300 2.8). In looking at the photos and doing some tests though I was able to determine there was definitely some front focusing going on. Hopefully I've corrected the problem. We'll see.
Quote:
Also, a newbie question for you (and any other 20D/30D owner)...how necessary is it to have AF Assist? Do you guys always raise the built-in flash? Or have to remember to attach an external flash? Or do you get away with using no flash?
How necessary depends on the shooting conditions and what lens you're using. For instance, shooting football with a 2.8 lens I didn't really need it. But if I was using a 5.6 lens then more than likely the assist would be more necessary. Same thing for indoors - when I have say my 85mm 1.8 lens mounted it still does pretty well. But when I have my 28-135 mounted it will hunt quite a bit if I don't have focus assist. But in those instances I'm always going to use a mounted flash anyway so it isn't an issue.

As for using flash or not - flash is simply another tool. I happen to find it a very useful tool in certain circumstances - parties and such indoors I'm always using an external flash (bounced). In those situations you almost always want deeper DOF so fast primes and high ISOs are going to give less desirable results. Plus people move - and even with high iso and 1.8 you can end up with 1/60 or 1/30 shutter speeds and without flash those shutter speeds show too much motion blur (hands, heads, etc). Conversely I hate to use it for sports - mostly because of recycle times (I'd need to buy a new flash capable of using a battery pack to do better) but also because it can create a very harsh look because it's difficult or impossible to bounce a flash in many sports situations.

But like any tool, you get better results if you know how to use it properly.

As for a 40D, there are always rumors. They are heating up again - latest claims saying retailers are saying the 30d has been discontinued. As mentioned every time this comes up - look to end of August/September for any announcement with availability probably 2 months after.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:35 AM   #10

Hello JohnG,

Thanks for your honest comments about your experiences with your new 1DM3. I was just curious to see if the bugs were mostly just rumors or if there was a little truth to them. Not that I'm considering a 1DM3 as my first DSLR. Especially not at $5500.00 CAD (body only).

And as for neededd AF Assist...I was thinking more during outdoor daylight scenes. Though, I had never thought of the f-stop of a lens. Good point!! I'll definitely keep that in mind should I consider the 40D seriously when it surfaces.

Any how, enjoy your 1DM3!

Cheers
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote