Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2003, 8:36 AM   #1

Default D1 or D10 suggestions?

D1 or D10 - is someone can help me to decid
I know the difference in price. this is not an obstacle for me
I do want to choose the better one!!!I photograph mostly
landscape and urban.....[/u][/quote]
sheferu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:27 AM   #2

Do you mean the 1D (from Canon) or the D1 (from Nikon)?

Those are completely different cameras. I know something about both of them, so I don't want to ramble on... about the wrong camera.

Yes, I realize this is the Canon section.. but people ask about Canon vs. Nikon here as well. (And in very friendly ways, its nice.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:26 PM   #3

Default 1D OR 10D FROM CANON

I mean the Canon eos 1D or 10D. Not the 1Ds. Thank you Eric
Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:42 PM   #4

are we shooting hi speed at 8fps for the sports minded?
in short what are you going to do with it?
are we willing to spend $3K+ on a body?
also if you need the speed can you wait for the 1Dx which of course cost more and be more?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 1:35 PM   #5

Default Not hi speed

Hi Sjms
I don't need hi speed shooting.
As I wrote before I am shooting landscape and urban mostly
And macro.
However I think that ther is one factor that is very important
The fact that the 1D have x1.3 Focal Length Multiplier.
Regads,
Uzi.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 2:12 PM   #6

eos1d 4MP x 1.3
eos10d 6MP x1.6

if you want resolving power and enlarging power with all the neat stuff you might wait about 2 months or so and see the 1Dx. in landscapes i like the ability to crop smaller areas. the 1D is designed to shoot sports and such and (i know this will stir up issues) does not resolve to a larger image potential then others. it can be done outside of the camera using various software apps. if 8x10 is your end product either one will do the job. each one will come with its own set of challenges that are packaged with them. its a matter of what your willing to accept. both are give and take. for macro i myself am going after a 180mm which could be resolved pretty much by a 105mm on a 10D. the killer is wide angle which is diminished in the mag factor.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:06 AM   #7

I agree completely with sjms. I'll even add to it!

Landscapes have lots of detail. Loads of it. I bet you will see better results with the higher resolution. The photosites are closer together on the 10D, and you'll need all of them to really capture the detail of a landscape.

The 1D is aimed a photojournalists who need to take lots of pictures very quickly. It hits that spot very well, but you would not be using it in the way it is designed. It would do the job, but I bet not as well as the 10D

The only benefit I can see, and I bet it is a very small one, is that the 1D will still have AF at f8 and its AF has lower tolerances. The AF on the 10D stops working at f5.6. This probably won’t effect you unless you use teleconverters.

If you want to do macro work, consider using extension tubes. They reduce the minimum focusing distance to something much closer. You can buy a dedicated macro lens. They are very good. But you could also use a good short zoom and an extension tube and that will give you more flexibility.

The 1.6X crop factor won’t effect you that much. If you are doing a lot of wide angle, then it will. If not, it won’t. If you have a lot of experience with photography and know (without thinking about it) what each lens provides you with… then a larger crop factor will confuse you. You’ll have to relearn what the lenses will show. But if not, you won’t notice the difference

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:51 AM   #8

Default Canon 1D or 10D

A thanks you Eric and Sjms!!!
I think that conclude for me the subject........
Thanks again.
Best regards,
Uzi.