Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:02 PM   #11

Mark - My iso setting was 400, focal length was 18mm. As for in camera settings that I am using for sharpening, I am not sure. Unless I am wrong there is no image stabalization in the 400D in the body, and my lens doesn't have IS either.

Well, most people seem to think this is okay, so I guess I was just maybe a little over harsh in my sharpness judging. I have heard that the kit lens is not the best, but as my photography skills are in their infancy I can't yet justify buying a more expensive one. Maybe I will get ahold of one and see a difference though.
Illuvatar111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:44 PM   #12
Super Moderator

That helps, ISO 400 might be adding a bit of noise to it, also at 18mm you would only really need 1/60th to ensure no camera shake so you could easily get the ISO to 100. The basic rule of thumb is 1/focal length in 35mm= shutter speed. So a 40mm lens on a 1.6x crop camera is 64 so 1/64 is approx 1/60th shutter speed. 100mm on a 1.6x crop give 35mm equiv of 160mm so 1/160th is the shutter speed. These are a good guide and it depends you steady you are some will be higher some will be lower. Your 18mm is 35mm equiv of 28.8mm so 1/30th should be safe as a shutter speed.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Now I'm still not 100% sure that everything is as sharp as it should be as we've only seen one shot so would be interested to see some others that you have taken to be sure.

I would not like to you have a problem and not know about it, also it is not good thinking you have a problem even if you don't!

Keep on shooting and let us know how you get on.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:08 PM   #13
TG

Have to agree with everyone else that the resized image looks sharp enough, But looking at the 100% crop of the car have to agree with Mark should be sharper with the aperture you were using.Mark ISO 400 should still be very clean on the Rebel (is outside even if it is cloudy), would expect to see some noise at ISO 800.

Would be interesting if you could post the original full image some where so we could seethe overall sharpness of the whole image.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:39 AM   #14

I have posted the full photo here

http://blazar1.googlepages.com/testphotos

along with another one that I think is blurry when it shouldn't be. Also, I have linked to a picture I took with a point and shoot 3MP kodak 5 years ago. Maybe it is just me, but that photo looks much sharper. What do you all think?

Thanks for checking these out. I really need to feel confident that I don't have a problem with the camera.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 4:57 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Having looked at the full size shots to me it just looks like you need to apply unsharp mask. I've sharpened them both and they are pretty much what I would expect to see. Not having the 400D I can't say 100% but I don't think there is an issue. Take some other types of shot (portrait etc) and see how these look. I would suggest using a few different apertures and see if you are noticing quality issues.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:05 AM   #16
TG

Have downloaded the fullsize image as well, apllied sharpening plugin in PS & looks OK.

PS. will just add do not own 400d or kit lens, image look OK with sharpening but did not stand out.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:13 PM   #17

image quality setting??
ahill876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 4:33 PM   #18

Well, looking at the originals you posted, maybe they aren't as sharp as they should be. Like the prior post said, are you using the large/fine quality settings in your camera menu? I do have to add that my kit lens is not as sharp at 55 as it is at 18 - quite noticably...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 5:45 PM   #19

The image quality setting is at its largest and finest. I went out today and took the shot with ISO 100 at f/8 and f/20 and I can tell a difference. f/8 seems to me more sharp, although not by a lot. I posted them online

http://blazar1.googlepages.com/testphotos

Maybe switching the lens will make a difference. As I said before it is the kit lens.

Does anyone think the kodak picture is sharper than the rest?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:52 PM   #20

The shot with f8 is definitely a lot better! I am confused with the light grass in front of the house on bottom right. It looks as if it is somehow digitally processed. These are the originals you uploaded? No processing at all? All settings in-camera neutral/default?

My kit lens isa littlebetter. As a matter of fact, it's so good that when I bought the Canon 17-40L 4.0 I returned it, because I couldn't tell the difference. Then I bought a Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX which I still have, but to be honest, it's not worth the money either. Not sure if you have a local camera store near you, but if you do, go ask them if you could try out one of their kit lenses in the store, take some test shots and see if it's better than the one you have. If so, just spend $100 on a new (good) kit lens before you drop $500 for a "better" lens.

Edit:

Oh, the Kodak shot may seem a little sharper but I don't think it holds a lot of information. You have to remember, we are looking at all this in poster format, if you print even the the f/11 shot at normal size, it will still come out looking really nice...
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote